Gender Specific Fears: Is Criticism or Failure Worse?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Specific
In summary, the conversation revolves around the claim made by a man on an infomercial that a man's greatest fear is failure and a woman's is criticism. The group discusses whether these claims hold true and whether the two fears are interrelated. Some members believe that fear of failure is more dominant, while others argue that fear of criticism can also be a driving factor. However, they also acknowledge that both fears can be mild and that fear of failure can be a practical mindset. The conversation also touches on the difference between genders in terms of fears, with one member mentioning a unique fear that men have. Ultimately, the group agrees that fear of failure and criticism are not necessarily bad things and can even be beneficial in certain situations.
zoobyshoe said:
Thanks for the post that's on topic.
Is it on topic because it agrees with the assumption in your original post? It seems all the posts are on topic, yet you picked out only one that's agreeing with your assertion to acknowledge as on topic. Seems like you're choosing to ignore criticism of the claim. :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
That's not my experience at all. Most people I know are hardest on themselves...regardless of gender. The few people who aren't, generally are totally oblivious of their own weaknesses...or in denial...and then they also don't take criticism well at all either. I'm not sure they have a fear of criticism though; it seems more like they just are easily offended when someone is honest with them about their weaknesses. Again, I've seen that in both men and women.

Though there is a big difference I think between being hard or critical on yourself and having low self esteem. But I'm not exactly sure how to put the difference. For instance I personally know I'm not great at physical sports, I probably have a fairly critical and judging view of other people (for instance I'm extremely prejudicial of people who are 'emo' and I personally can't understand any logic that such a person puts forward to justify his stance etc.) and I'm definitely not good looking xD. I'm also extremely indecisive.

However dispite these self-criticisms which I know are true in the end I honestly don't care. I couldn't care less if people don't like my attitude because they can go to hell. Everynow and then when my Mum is stressed she claims I have a problem, usually an attitude problem (not caring about anything). She claims I can't "see" the problem but in actual fact I see it quite clearly but in the end I honestly don't care, if someone thinks I have a problem with my attitude it isn't a problem with me it's problem with them.

When people say "everyone has problems" they are referring to what they see as problems but for myself I'm fine how I am. Because of this I guess in some ways I don't strive to "improve" my 'bad attitude' (which obviously I don't consider bad), but that's because I'm fine with how my attitude is and people just have to understand that I don't care at all.

But despite self-criticising myself I am fairly narcissistic (probably partly because of not caring about anything, my looks, my 'attitude', any outiside criticisms) and pessimistic.

But again criticisms for me come back to perspective. Criticisms which are meant to stir like teasing etc. etc. or truthfull criticisms about certain aspects of myself which I deem fine but others don't (ie. attitude), would be 'ignored' (I'll still listen but they just won't stir any action in me) easily through not caring at all. However if I'm doing something on a game, or let's say in an experiment, or doing a job or something (assuming I get off my lazy ass) then of course it would stir action - unless of course I know it's wrong through experience or whatever.

It's hard to explain it, it's like an "I don't care about just about everything" attitude minus low-selfesteem, minus low-lifeappreciation and minus rebellion.

I'm weird haha :tongue:

~Gelsamel

i don't like you

btw, a problem you don't care about is not your problem. its what others think as a problem in you.

Moonbear said:
Is it on topic because it agrees with the assumption in your original post?
It's on topic because it addresses the issue of fear of criticism vs fear of failure as they may relate to gender. It doesn't veer off onto the subject of someones worst fear as a man or woman, or whether or not laziness is a more dominant problem than fear in getting a project started.
It seems all the posts are on topic, yet you picked out only one that's agreeing with your assertion to acknowledge as on topic.
I singled that post out for being on topic because it was the first one to get squarely BACK on topic after the wonderful foray into fear of castration.
Seems like you're choosing to ignore criticism of the claim. :uhh:
Seems like I'm conducting an informal pole to see how the claim is confirmed or contradicted by PF posters experience.

Whether or not a certain amount of fear of failure is a good thing is completely irrelevant. The question is whether or not it's actually a male thing. Likewise, is fear of criticism authentically a more likely reaction for a woman.

TuviaDaCat said:
i don't like you

btw, a problem you don't care about is not your problem. its what others think as a problem in you.

I'm glad we agree.

zoobyshoe said:
I singled that post out for being on topic because it was the first one to get squarely BACK on topic after the wonderful foray into fear of castration.

'ey that was on the topic of gender specific fears :biggrin: . And I answered the question about my experience with the fear of failure*, it just lead onto other things.

~Gelsamel

*If you don't want to read back through my posts then it was just yes, failure over criticism but failure is just so minimal along with criticism it's really negligiable.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
The question is whether or not it's actually a male thing. Likewise, is fear of criticism authentically a more likely reaction for a woman.
Then in case you missed my answer...NO, it's not. It's hype by someone trying to sell some get rich quick scheme to gullible people watching late night TV.

I'm not afraid of criticism, it just means that the person criticisizng doesn't have enough knowledge to understand that what I am doing is correct. :approve:

(off topic side note - Zoobie, the wooden HO you sent me is going to be added to my desk menagerie along with two reindeer, two cows, and a zebra. I'm thinking of dressing them in halloween costumes.)

So is a gay guy's worst fear that he will fail to be criticised?

:yuck: :rofl: :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Then in case you missed my answer...NO, it's not. It's hype by someone trying to sell some get rich quick scheme to gullible people watching late night TV.
The invitation of the OP is for people to post their own individual experience. As I said, it's an informal pole, the goal of which is to see if the assertion is born out or contradicted here among people who feel like responding. To the extent people speak for themselves saying "Yes, this holds true for me, personally," or "No, that doesn't hold true for me personally" then I, and anyone whose interested, have some small bits of data to ponder and compare with any future imput that might come our way about this. To the extent people assert answers they believe apply to their whole sex, and also to the other sex, it creates gratuitous tension in anyone else considering responding. I can imagine them thinking "Well, I can't share my own experience now because it contradicts someone who'se declared there is no such difference and they may want to start an argument about it."

I have to agree based on my own experience. I couldn't care less what others think about my projects. I sometimes wonder if they will fail, but not to the point I won't try.

My wife on the other hand frets over what others say, or her fear of what they think.

zoobyshoe said:
Seems like I'm conducting an informal pole to see how the claim is confirmed or contradicted by PF posters experience.
I think posters in general are unlikely to exhibit either fear.
With the self selected sample your results will be skewed.

My experience with criticizing women is that its dangerous
Try telling your SO that her dress makes her look fat :biggrin:

NoTime said:
I think posters in general are unlikely to exhibit either fear.
With the self selected sample your results will be skewed.
This occurred to me after starting the thread. Anyone, man or woman, who worries about possible criticism when they consider undertaking a project, isn't likely to be comfortable volunteering that information about themselves on an open forum. It doesn't seem to apply equally to both fears. It seems to be less difficult to report fear of failure
I, personally, can have a strong, sharp reaction to some forms of criticism. However, that is an after-the-fact event different than what I'm asking about in the OP. In general, I don't dwell much on the thought of future criticism and am more likely, instead, to worry about finding out, after I'm well into a project it'll end up being impossible for me to successfully complete under the current circumstances.

NoTime said:
You could be on to something. Things women fear do appear to be in grave danger. Just look at your average spider. Does the phrase "KILL IT!" sound familiar to anyone else?

Artman said:
So is a gay guy's worst fear that he will fail to be criticised?

:yuck: :rofl: :biggrin:
Yes, that is an awful prospect for us.

How dreadful if our scandal-making efforts do not produce any shocks...:frown:

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
...am more likely, instead, to worry about finding out, after I'm well into a project it'll end up being impossible for me to successfully complete under the current circumstances.

I admit this can be depressing, even if not frightening.

zoobyshoe said:
The invitation of the OP is for people to post their own individual experience. As I said, it's an informal pole, the goal of which is to see if the assertion is born out or contradicted here among people who feel like responding. To the extent people speak for themselves saying "Yes, this holds true for me, personally," or "No, that doesn't hold true for me personally" then I, and anyone whose interested, have some small bits of data to ponder and compare with any future imput that might come our way about this. To the extent people assert answers they believe apply to their whole sex, and also to the other sex, it creates gratuitous tension in anyone else considering responding. I can imagine them thinking "Well, I can't share my own experience now because it contradicts someone who'se declared there is no such difference and they may want to start an argument about it."

In defense of my response, I totally thought I was staying on topic, but I may have made my response unclear with my neo-socratic method.

Me personally, I have feared both criticism and failure, but they're occurences are seldom and usually in insignificant arenas, parties or other strange (to me) social situations, when it comes to my work and my school, I will not fail, I can only learn from my mistakes... if I ever get around to taking a break from posting on physicsforums or playing cthulhumud and actually get out there and make some mistakes (which is kind of the fun of the whole thing anyway, making mistakes, having problems to solve, etc, etc)

My point in general was that failure and criticism are common fears for any human, regardless of their sex, and when I speak, I'm not speaking for my sex, I'm speaking for my age group (who I see, and study, a lot of) who all have their insecurities regardless of their sex, and failure and criticism are nealry homogenous fears that weave in and out of all our existences sooner or later in some period of our social life. If a fear becomes obtusely consistant in your life, it's a phobia, a mental illness, and one's sex isn't more susceptible to phobias then another. Sex is a cultural difference more than most people realize.

I also don't want to discourage anyone from refuting this point. I won't argue about something that's still a big question today "nature or nurture". Professionals argue about it still, so there's obviously no easy answer. I like to hear the opinion's of people who see flaws in my logic.

Pythagorean said:
In defense of my response, I totally thought I was staying on topic, but I may have made my response unclear with my neo-socratic method.

I thought your original response was on topic, informative, and you were speaking for yourself:

Pythagorean said:
I'm a man, and I have a constructively mild fear both.

Side discussions happen, sometimes, and people have their own opinions in place about some things, but my goal here was to get individual reports and build a picture from scratch rather than solicit other people's assumptions and guesses about how the picture will form.

hrmm... I guess I'm operating under the assumption that even when poeple talk about themselves (or sometimes especially when they talk about theirselves) they're guessing and assuming.

Have you also thought about the error in people lying. I haven't studied the replies in this thread besides yours mainly, but I'd assume most people wouldn't admit to having fears, especially if they fear criticism, so they'd either lie to you or not reply.

EDIT: Ah, I realize my last paragraph is an extension of post # 47 above