1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General equivalent couple - force system

1. Jan 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello gentlemen!

I came across a real challeging problem about static, which states
    the following: assume a force system is equivalent to a force [itex]\vec{F}_{1}[/itex] and a couple [itex]M_{1}\vec{k}[/itex] acting at a point [itex]\vec{r}_{1}[/itex]. Find some point [itex]\vec{r}_{2}[/itex] and a force [itex]\vec{F}_{2}[/itex] so that [itex]\vec{F}_{2}[/itex] acting at [itex]\vec{r}_{2}[/itex] is equivalent to [itex]\vec{M}_{1}[/itex] acting at [itex]\vec{r}_{1}[/itex].

As it is a little more difficult problem, the author provided a solution:
    [tex]
    \vec{r}_{2}=\vec{r}_{1}+\frac{\vec{F}_{1}\times\hat{k}M_{1}}{F_{1}^{2}},
    [/tex] and
    [tex]
    \vec{F}_{2}=\vec{F}_{1}.
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

My first attempt was to use the equivalence of the couples:
    [tex]
    \vec{r}_{1}\times\vec{F}_{1}=\vec{r}_{2}\times\vec{F}_{2}=M_{1}\hat{k},
    [/tex]
    and the BAC - CAB rule for double cross product: [itex] \vec A \times \vec B \times \vec C = \vec B (\vec A \ldotp \vec C) - \vec C (\vec A \ldotp \vec B) [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    That [itex]\vec{F}_1 = \vec{F}_2[/itex], it's obvious, because of the equivalence of the forces systems. So I focused on the equivalence of the couples.
    I realized that only the last two members of the vectorial equation were interesting for this:
    [tex]
    \begin{aligned} & \vec{F}_{1}\times\vec{r}_{2}\times\vec{F}_{2}=\vec{F}_{1}\times M_{1}\hat{k}\\
    \Rightarrow & \vec{r}_{2}\left(\vec{F}_{1}\ldotp\vec{F}_{2}\right)-\left(\vec{F}_{1}\ldotp\vec{r}_{2}\right)\vec{F}_{2}=\vec{F}_{1}\times M_{1}\hat{k}\\
    \Rightarrow & \vec{r}_{2}=\frac{\left(\vec{F}_{1}\ldotp\vec{r}_{2}\right)\vec{F}_{2}+\vec{F}_{1}\times M_{1}\hat{k}}{\vec{F}_{1}\ldotp\vec{F}_{2}}.
    \end{aligned}
    [/tex]

So my point is: if there is freedom to choose both [itex]\vec{r}_{2}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{F}_{2}[/itex] , it's not possible to assume that these vectors should be related to the parameters of the problem, [itex]\vec{r}_{1}[/itex], [itex]\vec{F}_{1}[/itex] and [itex]M_{1}\hat{k}[/itex] as the author requires in his solution. Am I right or am I missing something really important on this issue?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2017 #2
    Looks to me like you missed the easy part. If the net force on the system is originally F1, and the net force is to be held constant, then F2 = F1. Doesn't that enable you to finish your development of r2?

4. Jan 18, 2017 #3
    Well, basically, if [itex]\vec{F}_1 = \vec{F}_2[/itex], then it will be mandatory that [itex]\vec{r}_1 = \vec{r}_2[/itex], don't you think? Even if I put this reasoning forward, the result would be strange:
    [tex]
    \begin{aligned}\vec{r}_{2} & =\frac{\left(\vec{F}_{1}\ldotp\vec{r}_{2}\right)\vec{F}_{1}+\vec{F}_{1}\times M_{1}\hat{k}}{F_{1}^{2}}\\
    & =\frac{\left(\vec{F}_{1}\ldotp\vec{r}_{1}\right)\vec{F}_{1}+\vec{F}_{1}\times M_{1}\hat{k}}{F_{1}^{2}}\\
    & =r_{1}\cos\theta\hat{F}_{1}+\frac{\vec{F}_{1}\times M_{1}\hat{k}}{F_{1}^{2}}
    \end{aligned}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted