Can a 13-Year-Old Plan Their Physics and Math College Path Effectively?

In summary, it's good to take risks in high school, but don't be too focused on getting into college.
Nietsnie314
Hello fellow members... I'm new to the forum(s).
And yes, I'm a little young, I'm 13, but why not get a head start and indulge myself in endless knowledge, eh?
Yes, my username is Einstein backwards and the first 3 numbers of pi without the decimal point.
Go figure.

Okay, just to clear things up:
My prospective high school doesn't offer AP Physics C (what a pain), nor AP Stats. Without further ado:

1. Should I cram self-study Physics C with all my other tough courses in Junior year, or place it in the much less stressful senior year to devote it more time...but we submit college applications in Junior year, right? (Yes, I've planned out the next 4 years of my life.)

2. How many more math classes do you have to take for a Math major with a Physics major?

3. Is AP Stats really needed for a Physics/Math double major?

4. Does AP Calc BC count as College Calculus 1 or 2, and how many college equivalent semesters?

5. I really like Astrophysics... I hate Geometry... Algebra is interesting. Will I hate my job for the rest of my life if I shoot for Physics or will I be okay with it?

6. Is Differential Equations completely separate from college calculus? Which normally comes first, Calculus 2/3 or Differential?

Danke schön.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me give this a crack. No, no, no, no, and no. Wait that doesn't work..

1. No, combining craming and self-studying into anything is never good
2. Many many. Physics majors do end up usually being 1 or 2 classes away from getting a math minor in the first place. However getting the 2nd bachelors takes a bit more doing, at least another years worth of courses if not 2.
3. No, actually no AP course is required to do anything. All it does it get you one low level class out of the way (and in the case of stats, that might not get anything out of the way) ahead of time.
4. This is 100% college specific. Some will get you the first 2 semesters with Calc ABC, some may give you no credit at all for anything, it's entirely dependent on what university you look at.
5. You're way too young to think this far ahead. Then again, one can probably safely say "no" since I've never heard anyone who does physics say "I hate my job because of *some sort of math*". If you never do grow to like (or at least accept) the mathematics, you'll switch to another major at some point.
6. Differential equations is after (at least in every case I've heard, I believe people do take it concurrently with it though) and separate.

Thank you...
You're right, I didn't think putting Physics Junior year would be the greatest thing to do...
Ha. I find this strangely amusing, I'm not even in high school yet, and I bother over things decades away.
Still, I do like to have an idea of what I'm doing.

Nietsnie314 said:
but we submit college applications in Junior year, right?

Only if you're planning to graduate from high school at the end of your junior year. :wink:

Don't be worried if you can't take physics at your high school. You can always take an algebra based physics course your first year in college, then start the calculus series of physics. You should try to take all the math you can in high school. Most physics degree plans start with Calculus the first semester (or quarter) you enroll.

Only if you're planning to graduate from high school at the end of your junior year. ;)

I would be able to, but who would want to pass up senior year?
That's good news... more time to think...

seriously you're way too young to be worrying about college... the best way to get into college is to NOT think about it (ok you can plan) for your first 2 years then start the middle/end of junior year tackling the issue rather than worrying about it the first two years because...

A) You will do poorly because you will be GPA conscious
B) You won't have as much fun as the guy who has a level head but is not engrossed in the issue
C) You will do activities/clubs etc. that you think colleges "want" you to do... hurting your originality... and thus your chances in the long run

I am currently a high school junior and i wish i heeded this advice in freshman year, and took more risks than i did... high school is about exploring and growing, not getting into college... trust me

1. What is the difference between high school and college physics?

High school physics typically covers the basic concepts and principles of physics, while college physics delves deeper into the subject with more complex theories and applications. Additionally, college physics courses may require more mathematical and analytical skills compared to high school physics.

2. What are the main topics covered in general physics courses?

Some of the main topics covered in general physics courses include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and atomic and nuclear physics. These topics are essential for understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world.

3. Is physics a difficult subject to study?

Physics can be a challenging subject, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and abstract theories. However, with proper study habits and dedication, it can be a rewarding and fascinating subject to learn.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, medicine, technology, and education. Some common job titles for physics graduates include physicist, engineer, data analyst, and teacher.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to practice regularly and solve problems using different methods. You can also seek help from professors, tutors, or online resources for additional support and clarification. Additionally, staying curious and asking questions can also aid in improving your understanding of physics concepts.