Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General question regarding time

1. Feb 21, 2008 #1
    Ok so my next question has 2 parts, but i wont go into the philosophical part here. But i was reading about a letter albert einstien wrote to a person regarding the death of a friend. As i tried to understand his meaning behind it, i started thinking. From what i am told time is affected by speed, mass and distance (i.e. a small slow movement here would have a massive change in time billions of lightyears away from here). Would it be safe to assume that there is and always will be a point of reference in this univerese where we will all be alive, dead, and yet to be born here on earth? I hope that came out right, as i am having a bit of trouble putting my thoughts to words. Again, i have no knowledge in any of this material, only genuine questions. Please excuse my ignorace.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but if, for example, a person near the star Alpha Centuari had a really big telescope, right now they could be watching the events of 2003 unfolding on Earth. But that's simply because light travels at a finite speed - it doesn't have anything to do with time dilation.

4. Feb 21, 2008 #3
    According to Einstein this time frame is not in the past, not in the future, but it is infact "elsewhere".

5. Feb 21, 2008 #4
    What im getting at is that any particular moment has some perminence in the universe in the way that there will always be a point of reference in the universe where right now will always be right now... if that makes any sense.. i an starting to think that time does not exist, only different points of reference. i know this is more than likely way off, so if someone would be so kind to explain why (if they can follow my laymens logic) i would appericate it, thanks.

6. Mar 18, 2008 #5
    Re your question

Would it be safe to assume that there is and always will be a point of reference in this univerese where we will all be alive, dead, and yet to be born here on earth?

No it would not - time proceeds forward. The point of reference you search for is here and now. The past is gone (in terms of time) and the future is to come. There are many distortions of expected reality in cosmology but your proposal is not one.

This is only my current working theory - I am no expert

Ed Joyce

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?