Where Did All the Matter in the Universe Come From?

In summary: It decreases when matter is the dominant energy density. It decreases even more slowly when dark energy is the dominant energy density. It is always positive. This sounds simple but is a very complicated concept, and you really need to take a few astrophysics courses and a differential geometry course to get it.In summary, the Big Bang model explains the creation of matter in the universe through a process of energy conversion and conservation. This energy growth and subsequent decrease resulted in the formation of matter and radiation, which remained in the universe. The concept of energy in this model is complex and requires a deep understanding of astrophysics and differential geometry to fully grasp.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello.
I mean no challenge against current existing theories.
I wanted to ask, how does the Big Bang model explain the creation of all the existing matter in the Universe? I read that the BB created matter but how how could matter be created? I think it should have been either infinitely concentrated in a point, or be just born from something. If it was infinitely concentrated in a point, then where did all that matter come from? It is said that the BB was the beginning of time, so...
I don't understand this.
Were all the subatomic particles that we know of in the Standard Model created at one single point in time, the BB? How did all of them come in existence? How did they form?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang
I have seen some threads on similar discussions, but to be honest I did not understand much from them...
Can anyone please help me with my misunderstanding?
Thank you for taking time to consider all these questions!:smile:

P.S. This post is full of questions, but this is a very interesting topic and I am just a middle schooler...:)

Space news on Phys.org
I recommend Stephen Weinberg's "The First Three Minutes". It's fairly short and an easy read.

You need to let go of this "everything was at a point" thing. It was a point in TIME, not a point in space. The big bang happened everywhere, not at a point in space. If it had happened at a point in space, it would have been, as pop-sci presentations would have you believe, an "explosion" and there would be a center. There is not. I recommend the link in my signature.

Likes ISamson
@phinds but would the universe have to be expanding from a point, the point of the BB?
Thank you for the response.

ISamson said:
@phinds but would the universe have to be expanding from a point, the point of the BB?
Thank you for the response.
Yes, a point in TIME, not a point in space.

phinds said:
It was a point in TIME, not a point in space.
That's not very clear to novices, since they have been instructed that space and time are indubitably woven into the fabric of... spacetime.

Anyway this must be the millionth time this topic has been raised on here, and will no doubt be locked like all the others. Kudos I suppose to the mods for rehashing the same old 'answers', and not exploding in a veritable fireball of incandescent frustration.

ISamson said:
I wanted to ask, how does the Big Bang model explain the creation of all the existing matter in the Universe? I read that the BB created matter but how how could matter be created?
If you want a full description, Phinds' suggestion is a good one. Here's a super short version, in two points:

1. Energy is not conserved in an expanding universe. This is highly counter-intuitive. But it is what General Relativity tells us. General Relativity follows a more complicated conservation law that includes energy, momentum, pressure, and twisting forces. The conservation of this more complicated structure forces energy to change over time following very precise rules based upon the interaction between energy and these other properties (momentum, pressure, twisting forces).
2. Using a particular definition of energy*, in the most common model (cosmic inflation) extremely early universe energy grew extremely rapidly. Then that energy was converted to matter and radiation, and the energy dropped over time very early-on as the universe cooled. But lots of matter that came from that initial energy production remained.

* The particular definition in this case is the "total energy in a finite co-moving volume". It increases at an exceedingly rapid pace during inflation. It decreases when radiation is the dominant energy density.

Likes ISamson

1. What is matter and why is it important?

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. It is important because it makes up everything in the physical world, including ourselves. It is the building block of the universe and plays a crucial role in the functioning of all living organisms.

2. How was matter created in the Big Bang?

In the Big Bang theory, matter was created from a hot, dense and rapidly expanding singularity. As the universe cooled and expanded, subatomic particles formed and eventually combined to form atoms. These atoms then combined to form stars, galaxies, and eventually all the matter we see in the universe today.

3. What is the relationship between matter and energy in the Big Bang?

In the Big Bang, matter and energy were initially the same thing. As the universe expanded and cooled, energy transformed into matter through the process of particle creation. This relationship between matter and energy is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², which states that matter and energy are interchangeable.

4. What is dark matter and how does it relate to the Big Bang?

Dark matter is a mysterious substance that makes up about 27% of the universe. It does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes. The existence of dark matter is inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter and its presence is believed to have played a crucial role in the formation of galaxies after the Big Bang.

5. How does the Big Bang theory explain the existence of matter and antimatter?

In the Big Bang theory, matter and antimatter were created in equal amounts. However, as the universe expanded and cooled, matter and antimatter particles collided and annihilated each other, leaving behind a small amount of matter that makes up everything we see today. The exact reason for the asymmetry between matter and antimatter is still a topic of research in the field of physics.