Generalization of infinite product problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of proving that an infinite product is greater than 0 for all functions satisfying certain conditions. The original proof provided had an error, which was corrected in the subsequent discussion. The definition of "divergent" in the context of an infinite product is also debated. Finally, the conversation concludes with suggestions for proving the original claim using induction.
Fraqtive42
Prove that [tex]\prod_{j=1}^{\infty}\left(1-\frac{1}{f(j)}\right)>0[/tex] for all [tex]f:\mathbb{N}^{+}\to\mathbb{R}^{+}[/tex] which satisfy [tex]f(1)>1[/tex] and [tex]f(m+n)>f(m)[/tex], where [tex]m,n\in\mathbb{N}^{+}[/tex].

I found the problem "Prove that [tex]\prod_{j=1}^{\infty}\left(1-\frac{1}{2^{j}}\right)>0[/tex]" and felt the need to make a generalization of it. So, here it is! :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Did you try f(n)=n+1 ??

You are saying that f(n)=n+1 doesn't work?

Hmm... that is weird. My proof had some kind of error in it...

In fact the infinite product (1-1/(n+1)) diverges to zero.

g_edgar said:
?? Do you mean converges to 0?

I'm pretty sure it's standard to use "divergent" to describe an infinite product whose sequence of partial products converges to zero. It's directly analogous to the similar usage regarding infinite sums whose sequence of partial sums converges to [itex]-\infty[/itex].

I think that I have made my proof on the assumption that for any functions satisfying these conditions, [tex]\prod_{j=1}^{N}(f(j)-1)\leq\prod_{j=1}^{N}f(j)[/tex] for any [tex]N\in\mathbb{N}[/tex]. I don't see why [tex]f(n)=n+1[/tex] is an exception though.

Hurkyl said:
I'm pretty sure it's standard to use "divergent" to describe an infinite product whose sequence of partial products converges to zero. It's directly analogous to the similar usage regarding infinite sums whose sequence of partial sums converges to [itex]-\infty[/itex].

I have never heard or seen it being used like that. I thought the general definition of convergence implied that the limit approached a finite value. But of course, I do understand what you are saying and it makes sense.

Last edited:
g_edgar said:

This isn't true. As n gets larger, the partial products approach 1.

Fraqtive42 said:
I think that I have made my proof on the assumption that for any functions satisfying these conditions, [tex]\prod_{j=1}^{N}(f(j)-1)\leq\prod_{j=1}^{N}f(j)[/tex] for any [tex]N\in\mathbb{N}[/tex]. I don't see why [tex]f(n)=n+1[/tex] is an exception though.

Ya, don't make that assumption. Just assume what's given: f(m+n)>f(m). Use induction to prove the original claim. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Last edited:
aq1q said:
g_edgar said:

This isn't true. As n gets larger, the partial products approach 1.

[tex]\prod_{n=1}^N\left(1-\frac{1}{n+1}\right)=\prod_{n=1}^N\frac{n}{n+1}=\frac12\frac23\frac34\cdots\frac{N}{N+1}=\frac{1}{N+1}[/tex]

CRGreathouse said:
[tex]\prod_{n=1}^N\left(1-\frac{1}{n+1}\right)=\prod_{n=1}^N\frac{n}{n+1}=\frac12\frac23\frac34\cdots\frac{N}{N+1}=\frac{1}{N+1}[/tex]

ah so sorry. I was accidentally taking the SUM. In that case, it DOES converges to 0. Perhaps, F needs to be clearly defined.

Last edited:

1. What is the generalization of the infinite product problem?

The generalization of the infinite product problem is a mathematical concept that extends the concept of multiplication to an infinite number of factors. It involves finding the value of an infinite product, which is the result of multiplying an infinite number of terms together.

2. How is the generalization of the infinite product problem used in mathematics?

The generalization of the infinite product problem is used in various branches of mathematics, such as analysis, number theory, and probability theory. It is also used in physics and engineering to model natural phenomena and solve complex problems.

3. What are some real-life applications of the generalization of the infinite product problem?

The generalization of the infinite product problem has many practical applications, such as in the calculation of compound interest, in the study of fractals and chaos theory, and in the computation of probabilities in gambling and finance.

4. What are some techniques used to solve the generalization of the infinite product problem?

There are several techniques used to solve the generalization of the infinite product problem, including convergence tests, such as the comparison test and the ratio test, and functional equations, such as the Euler functional equation and the Riemann zeta function.

5. What are some challenges in solving the generalization of the infinite product problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the generalization of the infinite product problem is determining the convergence or divergence of the infinite product. This can be difficult, as the behavior of infinite products can be quite unpredictable. Another challenge is finding closed-form solutions for specific infinite products, which may require advanced mathematical techniques and knowledge of special functions.