Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generalization of Surface Integral

1. Jul 4, 2011 #1
    Given that a surface integral of a function, f(x,y,z), is written as [itex]\int\int f(x,y,z) dS[/itex] where dS= |df/dx x df/dy| dA, how can this be generalized into more dimensions? In other words, is it possible to find a way to convert dS into a differential piece of area for more than 3 dimensions? What type of cross product would be able to incorporate the cross product of something differentiated with respect to three parameters, or four, or so on?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi schaefera! :smile:

What you write is a bit ambiguous.

It should be something like:
    [tex]\iint_S f(x,y,z) dS = \iint_S f(\phi(u,v)) ~ \left|\frac {\partial \phi} {\partial u} \times \frac {\partial \phi} {\partial v}\right| ~ du~dv[/tex]
    where [itex]\phi(u,v)[/itex] is a function that maps (u,v) to points (x,y,z) on the surface S.

For n dimensions this is generalized using the absolute value of the Jacobian determinant.
    Your cross product is a special case for 3 dimensions that happens to be the same.

See for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_substitution#Substitution_for_multiple_variables

The formula shown in the article is:
    ad029d8d434531623748cfbb7310ee90.png

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  4. Jul 4, 2011 #3
    Ok, I believe I understand that (although I have to admit it's a bit beyond what I have studied)! My one remaining question is: why is the cross product in the 3D version a special case of the Jacobian determinant? Because the parameterized function relies on two variables, wouldn't the Jacobian be a 2x3 matrix (the top row being the partials with respect to u and the second row being the partials with respect to v)? I'm obviously missing something, but how do you get the determinant of that?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  5. Jul 4, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

The cross product can be represented in many ways, as you can see on wikipedia.
    One of them is as the determinant of a matrix:
    09faa107cbce9b087e622f776ab7af8c.png

6. Jul 5, 2011 #5
    But isn't that different from taking a Jacobian and then finding the determinant of that matrix?

7. Jul 5, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Ah, I see your point.
    I guess I was hasty in answering your question with the Jacobian.

Well, in n dimensions, the cross product is generalized to:
    d0e39f2c2f8b6e1eb8f24d720759df89.png

I guess you can use this to calculate the integral.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  8. Jul 5, 2011 #7
    There is a beautiful generalization. We will define something called a k-dimensional parametrized-manifold in R^n, that is analogous to say, a 2-dimensional parametrized-surface in R^3.

Here is the definition of a parametrized-manifold:

Let k <= n. Let A be open in R^k, and let g: A ---> R^n be a map of class C^r. The set Y = g(A), together with the map g, constitute what is called a parametrized-manifold of dimension k. We denote this parametrized-manifold by Y_g; and we define the k-dimensional volume of Y_g by the equation [tex] v(Y_g) = \int_A V(Dg) [/tex], provided the integral exists.

Here, Dg is the derivative of g, and [tex] V(Dg) = \sqrt{det[Dg^{tr}Dg]} [/tex].

Note that if f is a continuous map from Y_g to R then the integral of f over Y_g, with respect to volume, is defined by [tex] \int_{Y_g} f dV = \int_A (f \circ g) V(Dg) [/tex]

We use the notation dV in the integral to denote integral with respect to volume

EDIT: Also note that [tex] Dg^{tr}Dg [/tex[ is always a square matrix, so taking the determinant of it is never a problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook