Do operators that commute also indicate if their powers commute?

• I
  • Thread starter TheCanadian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutators
In summary: I'm not sure what. Well, ##X## is a valid solution to the equation ##M^2 = I##. All 2x2 unitary matrices with eigenvalues of ##\pm1## are. So if you want to be exhaustive then you would say that ##I_2^{\frac{1}{2}}## is the set ##\{M \in U(2) | M^2 = I\}## which includes X and Y and Z and H and I and uncountably many other matrices corresponding to 180 degree rotations around an arbitrary axis in 3-d space (and also their negations).This problem of multiplicity occurs for matrices besides ##I
TheCanadian
If ##A## and ##B## are two operators that commute (i.e. [##A##,##B##] = 0), does that indicate if ##A^m## and ## B^n## more generally commute where m and n are not necessarily non-negative integers?

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
What does it mean, that ##[A,B]=0##?

AB - BA = 0

TheCanadian said:
AB - BA = 0
Yep. So ##AB = BA##, i.e. you can pull one or many ##B## through how many ever ##A##'s there are, step by step.
Edit: I don't know how it is for negative exponents since there must first be defined an inverse. There probably have to be made some assumptions on convergence, too.
Edt2: I think I got it. Let ##C = B A^{-1}##, i.e. ##B=CA##. Then ##AB = ACA = BA = CA^2##.
Thus ##ABA^{-1} = CA = B## or ##BA^{-1} = A^{-1}B##.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Yep. So ##AB = BA##, i.e. you can pull one or many ##B## through how many ever ##A##'s there are, step by step.
Edit: I don't know how it is for negative exponents since there must first be defined an inverse. There probably have to be made some assumptions on convergence, too.
Edt2: I think I got it. Let ##C = B A^{-1}##, i.e. ##B=CA##. Then ##AB = ACA = BA = CA^2##.
Thus ##ABA^{-1} = CA = B## or ##BA^{-1} = A^{-1}B##.

Thank you for the reply. That helps a lot. One of the other cases I was wondering about was decimals. Does raising two operators to different fractions alter the operators in such a way they no longer commute?

TheCanadian said:
Thank you for the reply. That helps a lot. One of the other cases I was wondering about was decimals. Does raising two operators to different fractions alter the operators in such a way they no longer commute?
Interesting question. At the moment I'm not sure how to define them in a rigorous manner other than, e.g. ##A^3 = B^2## and then apply the tricks above. What would ##A^{e}## be? Probably a convergent Taylor series or something like that in which case crossing to the limits has to be considered.

fresh_42 said:
What would ##A^{e}## be?

First, what would ##A^{e}## be when ##A## is a positive real number?

George Jones said:
First, what would ##A^{e}## be when ##A## is a positive real number?
The solution of ##e \cdot \ln{A} = \ln{x} ## with all terms defined by their Taylor series.

An easy counter-example via the Pauli matrices not commuting and being their own inverse. Not sure if you'll consider it cheating.

Note that:

##[X, Z] = 2iY##

##[X^2, Z^2] = [I, I] = 0##

##I## has many square roots, ##X## and ##Z## among them. We can pick different ones for ##A## and ##B## when setting ##A=B=I##. So ##[A, B] = [I, I] = 0## but ##[A^{\frac{1}{2}}, B^{\frac{1}{2}}] = [X, Z] = 2iY##.

I guess technically ##[A^{\frac{1}{2}}, B^{\frac{1}{2}}]## is not really well defined here. It's a multi-valued function, but some of those values aren't 0.

Your propose rule might hold if we restrict ourselves to the principle powers of a matrix. Require that ##A^x## be interpreted as raising its eigenvalues to ##x##. Further require that ##(e^{i y})^x## only allows the ##e^{i x y} = \cos(x y) + i \sin(x y)## solution. Not so sure in that case.

Last edited:
Likes Truecrimson, atyy and vanhees71
Strilanc said:
An easy counter-example via the Pauli matrices not commuting and being their own inverse. Not sure if you'll consider it cheating.

Note that:

##[X, Z] = 2iY##

##[X^2, Z^2] = [I, I] = 0##

##I## has many square roots, ##X## and ##Z## among them. We can pick different ones for ##A## and ##B## when setting ##A=B=I##. So ##[A, B] = [I, I] = 0## but ##[A^{\frac{1}{2}}, B^{\frac{1}{2}}] = [X, Z] = 2iY##.

I guess technically ##[A^{\frac{1}{2}}, B^{\frac{1}{2}}]## is not really well defined here. It's a multi-valued function, but some of those values aren't 0.

It might still be the case if we restrict ourselves to the principle powers of a matrix. Require that ##A^x## be interpreted as raising its eigenvalues to ##x##. Further require that ##(e^{i y})^x## only allows the ##e^{i x y} = \cos(x y) + i \sin(x y)## solution. Not so sure in that case.
To define ##X = A^{\frac{1}{2}}## is rather edgy, isn't it?

fresh_42 said:
To define ##X = A^{\frac{1}{2}}## is rather edgy, isn't it?

Well, ##X## is a valid solution to the equation ##M^2 = I##. All 2x2 unitary matrices with eigenvalues of ##\pm1## are. So if you want to be exhaustive then you would say that ##I_2^{\frac{1}{2}}## is the set ##\{M \in U(2) | M^2 = I\}## which includes X and Y and Z and H and I and uncountably many other matrices corresponding to 180 degree rotations around an arbitrary axis in 3-d space (and also their negations).

This problem of multiplicity occurs for matrices besides ##I##. ##X## has four square roots. ##X \otimes X## has sixteen. ##X \otimes I## has uncountably many.

If you want to restrict yourself to a specific matrix or a subset of matrices out of the set of satisfying results, you need to pick a rule for doing that and specify it.

Last edited:
Strilanc said:
If you want to restrict yourself to a specific matrix or a subset of matrices out of the set of satisfying results, you need to pick a rule for doing that and specify it.
I think that is the crucial point. One has to define the algebraic structure first in which the operations "live". Thus one can distinguish between what makes sense and what doesn't. (At least this has been the first time I've read about a Pauli matrix being a square root. But why not. As a ##ℂ##-basis of the ring ##ℂ^{2 \times 2}## ...)

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of generalizing commutators in mathematics?

The concept of generalizing commutators involves extending the definition of commutators, which are mathematical objects used to measure the degree to which two elements in a mathematical structure do not commute. This generalization often involves expanding the scope of what elements can be used to form a commutator and how they are combined.

2. What is the significance of generalizing commutators?

Generalizing commutators allows for a deeper understanding of mathematical structures and their properties. It also allows for the application of commutators in a wider range of contexts, leading to new insights and discoveries in mathematics.

3. How are generalizing commutators related to Lie algebras?

Lie algebras are mathematical structures that involve operations similar to commutators. In fact, Lie algebras are a specific type of algebra that can be defined using commutators. Generalizing commutators can provide a way to extend the concept of Lie algebras to other mathematical structures.

4. Can generalizing commutators be applied to other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, the concept of generalizing commutators can be applied to other fields such as physics and computer science. In physics, generalizing commutators can be used to study the behavior of quantum systems, while in computer science, they can be used to analyze the performance of algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations to generalizing commutators?

As with any mathematical concept, there may be limitations to the extent to which commutators can be generalized. It is important to carefully consider the properties and implications of any generalization to ensure its validity and usefulness in a specific context.