Generating electricity from electric charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of directing charges from a large charged object to generate current or electricity. The discussion also touches on the idea of harnessing electricity from lightning and storing it for later use, but it is concluded that this is not currently possible. Some suggestions for alternative methods of generating electricity, such as using blimps or coal, are also mentioned.
iamandanyc
If I have a really big charged object, is it possible to direct the charges to an object/the same place and generate current/electricity from it? It was just something I thought of, totally random, but I'd like to know the reasoning behind it C:

Physics news on Phys.org
iamandanyc said:
If I have a really big charged object, is it possible to direct the charges to an object

Yes
the same place

The same place? How do you direct something to where it already is?
and generate current/electricity from it?

If it's charged, the energy is already in the form of electricity.

What I feel you're asking is can we direct it somewhere and store it for later use. And then by extension I can see you leading on to something along the lines of "can we 'direct' lightning and use it as a source of electricity?".

At the moment, no. We can force lightning where we want it to land by sending a rocket into a storm cloud with a wire attached, but we can't store the energy from the lightning bolt.

I know trying to harness electricity from lightning would only result in the equipment being roasted, but is there were a way to slowly collect the electrons from clouds and generate electricity? And how would that be done?

iamandanyc said:
I know trying to harness electricity from lightning would only result in the equipment being roasted, but is there were a way to slowly collect the electrons from clouds and generate electricity? And how would that be done?

Bingo, knew exactly where you were going.

As per my above post, at this point in time we simply can't do it. It isn't as simple as building towers into storm clouds.

Lightning storms, although common in some places, don't last long enough for us to continuously source from so we'd have to store the energy somehow. That is where the downfall lies.

My idea, posted in another thread, was to use blimps :)

or use coal because it is much cheaper and much more reliable

1. How does electricity generate from electric charge?

Electricity is generated from electric charge through a process called electromagnetism. When an electric charge is in motion, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field can then be used to induce a current in a nearby conductor, thus generating electricity.

2. What are the different methods of generating electricity from electric charge?

There are several methods of generating electricity from electric charge, including friction, chemical reactions, and electromagnetic induction. Friction involves rubbing two materials together to create an electric charge, while chemical reactions involve converting chemical energy into electrical energy. Electromagnetic induction is the most common method and involves using a magnetic field to induce a current in a conductor.

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of generating electricity from electric charge?

The main advantage of generating electricity from electric charge is that it is a clean and renewable source of energy. It does not produce harmful emissions or contribute to climate change. However, the main disadvantage is that it can be costly to set up and requires advanced technology to harness and store the energy effectively.

4. Can electricity be generated from any type of electric charge?

Yes, electricity can be generated from any type of electric charge as long as it is in motion. This includes both positive and negative charges.

5. How is electricity from electric charge stored and distributed?

Electricity generated from electric charge can be stored in batteries or capacitors for later use. It is then distributed through power lines or transmission cables to homes and businesses. The distribution process involves converting the electricity to different voltages to accommodate different types of devices and appliances.