Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generating power using an electric motor

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm looking into a project that involves powering a motor that requires 60 Amp minimum input, but this is being powered from an atv/quad bike that only generated 40 amps from its existing alternator.

My question is.. Can I use a motor powered from the atv's electric supply to power an alternator/generator that produces a 12v power 60amp output?

If not, any suggestions for another way around this?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2013 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not just upgrade the alternator on the quad bike? 40A is a very small alternator by most standards, these days.

4. Apr 7, 2013 #3
    Unfortunately it's not that simple! The alternator on the atv isn't interchangeable

5. Apr 7, 2013 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But you, presumably have a power takeoff, or you would not be contemplating using your electric motor. ?

6. Apr 7, 2013 #5
    I was thinking of wiring the motor into the atv's electrics
    The atv doesn't have a pto

7. Apr 7, 2013 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I may have misunderstood you but if the limit to your available electrical power is 40A at 12V then there is no more available. The only solution could be if you were to use a large enough battery which the 40A alternator could top up. Then you would be able to use the 60A motor for about half the time that the engine was running. However, a quad bike power unit is not really designed to act as a generator and could give you other problems if you run it stationary, just to charge the battery.
    But a steady-state solution just doesn't exist. It's a matter of income and expenditure - just like money.

8. Apr 7, 2013 #7
    Thanks, Thats what i was thinking! I just wanted to be sure that i wasnt missing a trick!

I'm not really sure what other options i have that will work well.
    The 60amp motor that needs to be powered will be used for upto 10 hours a day, i was thinking of using a generator, but these are all 230-240v and i only need 12v. I know it can be done, but i am trying to keep the cost as low as possible.
    I'm not an electrical expert either!

Thanks for your help!

9. Apr 7, 2013 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume your quad bike comes for free in this equation. Otherwise, it sounds to be a really poor solution to your problem. Couldn't you just swap it for a (pretty well any) small car engine and fit a good sized 12V alternator?
    Alternative, you could always go for a 240V petrol generator set (not hugely expensive) and a chunky transformer / rectifier.
    Even more radical, is there any reason that the motor has to be 12V? There are many surplus single hp motors around for not much money.
    I'm trying to think laterally for you!

10. Apr 7, 2013 #9
    sorry, my initial explanation wasnt brilliant!

The quadbike is being used as it needs to tow a trailer with a small fertilizer applicator on it.
    The applicator requires 12v 60 amps, and the quadbike provides 12v 40 amps. These are both fixed items, where as the variable is the power source.

space isnt a big issue, as i am building the trailer myself. it can be made to carry a generator aswell if necessary.

11. Apr 7, 2013 #10

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right.
    It looks as though the trailer needs to be self powered then. Time to scan eBay and places for a suitable system, I think. You may need an open mind so that you can make use of whatever happens to be available. Unfortunately, you can't change the Physics of Energy balance. :smile:

12. Apr 7, 2013 #11

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought this might amuse you!
    You are right about there not being much of its kind about!

What make and model of alternator is on your atv at the moment? Are you 100% sure that there is not a bigger one available? It would be such an attractive solution that it would be worth while doing some serious searching.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook