Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Genetic Variance Between Pops as compared Within Pops

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1

Gold Member

As it often said, the majority of the variation in the human genome is due to intra-group variation, not inter-group variation (I think .85 is the number due to intra-group variation). I know what this intuitively means, but can anyone explain to me what it rigorously means? (in statistical terms?)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know how group is defined, but it doesn't matter as long as YOU know.

Suppose you have a numeric index of human genome code for each individual i in group g. Let that index be Y: H --> R. That is, for genome h in H, Y(h) is a real number. Each group is a subset of H. Subscript i indexes the h's in group g; i = 1, ..., Ig where Ig is the number of h's in group g. There are k groups.

A regression equation of the following form is estimated:

yi,j = a + b1d1 + ... + bkdk + ui,j

where the dependent variable is Y(hi,j) = yi,j and the independent variables are the d's; u is the error term. For each g, dg = 1 if j = g (that is, hi,j is in group g), dg = 0 otherwise. The R^2 statistic of the estimated equation is expected to be 0.15 (a poor fit).
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?