Geodesics of a Sphere: Minimizing Integral and Solving for Great Circle Equation

  • Thread starter Thread starter c299792458
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Geodesics Sphere
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
c299792458
Messages
67
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi, just want to get a couple of things straight regarding finding the geodesics of a sphere not using polar coordinates, but rather, Lagrange multipliers...

I want to minimize I = int (|x-dot|2 dt)
subject to the constraint |x|=1 (sphere)
which gives an Euler equation of [itex]\lambda[/itex]x - x-doubledot = 0

I have to show that the Euler equation is actually |x-dot|2x - x-doubledot = 0
Is it right to assume that [itex]\lambda[/itex]=|x-dot|2 simply by the fact that it minimizes I* = int [|x-dot|2 - [itex]\lambda[/itex](|x|2-1)dt] which is [itex]\geq0[/itex], so the [itex]\lambda[/itex] that minimizes I* is |x-dot|2?

If I then try to integrate the Euler equation, then I get a SHM equation:

x1= A1 cos(|x-dot| t - C1) where A, C are constants
and similarly for x2, x3

But how do I combine them to give the equation of a great circle, since I don't know the Ci's?

Thank you for any enlightenment!


Homework Equations


See above


The Attempt at a Solution


See above
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So you are trying to minimise the following:
[tex] \int |\dot{x}|^{2}dt[/tex]
One way to think about this to say that [itex]\dot{x}=0[/itex] which integrates up to [itex]x=\textrm{constant}[/itex] which implies that [itex]|x|^{2}=\textrm{constant}[/itex]. Does that help?
 
c299792458 said:

Homework Statement


Hi, just want to get a couple of things straight regarding finding the geodesics of a sphere not using polar coordinates, but rather, Lagrange multipliers...

I want to minimize I = int (|x-dot|2 dt)
subject to the constraint |x|=1 (sphere)
which gives an Euler equation of [itex]\lambda[/itex]x - x-doubledot = 0

I have to show that the Euler equation is actually |x-dot|2x - x-doubledot = 0
Is it right to assume that [itex]\lambda[/itex]=|x-dot|2 simply by the fact that it minimizes I* = int [|x-dot|2 - [itex]\lambda[/itex](|x|2-1)dt] which is [itex]\geq0[/itex], so the [itex]\lambda[/itex] that minimizes I* is |x-dot|2?

If I then try to integrate the Euler equation, then I get a SHM equation:

x1= A1 cos(|x-dot| t - C1) where A, C are constants
and similarly for x2, x3

But how do I combine them to give the equation of a great circle, since I don't know the Ci's?

Thank you for any enlightenment!


Homework Equations


See above


The Attempt at a Solution


See above

Your formulation is incorrect: it should be [itex]\min \int |\dot{x}(t)|^2 dt[/itex], subject to [itex]|x(t)|^2 = 1 \; \forall t[/itex]. So, basically, you have infinitely many constraints, one for each t.

RGV
 
c299792458 said:
Thanks, hunt_mat,
Why can you take x-dot = 0?
Because
[tex] \int |\dot{x}(t)|^{2}dt\geqslant 0[/tex]
for all t and so it must be smallest when the integrand is identically zero.
 
hunt_mat said:
Because
[tex] \int |\dot{x}(t)|^{2}dt\geqslant 0[/tex]
for all t and so it must be smallest when the integrand is identically zero.

I guess I meant how does one know that 0 is attained? Also, I believe I was given that |x|^2 =1 (constant)
However does your suggestion mean that I can set the augmented integrand |x-dot|2-lamda*|x|2 to 0? then I will have the desired lamda = |x-dot|2 ?
 
Last edited: