Geometric Argument to Solve AP Calculus Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a calculus problem using geometric and algebraic methods. One person suggests finding the angle and area of a sector and subtracting the area of a triangle to find the shaded region. Another person mentions subdividing the region into triangles and sectors to easily find their areas. They also joke about asking CollegeBoard for help with the problem.
Feldoh
I was given an ap problem in class, specifically:

Problem 2:http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/ap/students/calculus/b_calculus_bc_frq_03.pdf

I was able to do it just fine, but then I had the idea to try and solve it geometrically/algebraically. However, I haven't been able to come up with a solution this way and I was wondering if anyone could see a way that it could indeed be solved using some sort of a geometric argument.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wait I know that they intersect at (1,1) so then I can find the angle, which is pi/4. Then I can find the area of the sector of the circle centered at the origin and subtract 1/2 (to get the portion of the shaded region bounded by the larger circle. The rest of the area is just 1/4 the are of the smaller circle, so...

[tex]A_{sector} = \frac{1}{2}(\frac{\pi}{4})\sqrt{2}^2[/tex]

[tex]A_{sector} = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

[tex]A_{total} = \frac{1}{4}\pi(1)^2 + [\frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{1}{2}][/tex]

[tex]A_{total} = \frac{1}{2}(\pi -1)[/tex]

Look right?

Last edited:
I don't understand what you meant after "and subtract...".

When you connect (1,1) and the origin, its basically the sum of a sector and a minor segment.

I subtracted 1/2 because I was just trying to find the area of the shaded region past x=1.

To do so I found the area of the sector then subtracted the area of the triangle that was part of the sector with vertices's at (0,0) (1,1) and (1,0).

The area of this triangle is 1/2 so that is why I subtracted it.

yes it is very easy to subdivide the region into triangles whose areas are easily found and sectors of circles which are equally easy.

in fact no one in his right mind would do this area problem by calculus.

Haha yeah, think you could speak to CollegeBoard on my behalf? :rofl:

1. What is a geometric argument in calculus?

A geometric argument in calculus is a method of solving a problem by using geometric concepts and principles. It involves visualizing the problem and using geometric shapes, such as triangles and rectangles, to find a solution.

2. How can a geometric argument be used to solve an AP Calculus problem?

A geometric argument can be used to solve an AP Calculus problem by breaking down the problem into smaller geometric components and using geometric formulas and principles to find a solution. This approach can often provide a more intuitive and visual understanding of the problem.

3. Can a geometric argument be used for all types of AP Calculus problems?

No, a geometric argument may not be the most effective method for solving all types of AP Calculus problems. It is typically used for problems that involve finding areas, volumes, or other geometric quantities.

4. What are the advantages of using a geometric argument in calculus?

One advantage of using a geometric argument in calculus is that it can provide a visual understanding of the problem, making it easier to grasp and solve. It can also help in developing geometric intuition and understanding of geometric concepts.

5. Are there any limitations to using a geometric argument in calculus?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a geometric argument in calculus. It may not be the most efficient method for solving some problems, and it may not always provide a precise solution. Additionally, it may not be applicable to all types of calculus problems.