A puzzling math geometric sequence question.

In summary: Geometric SequencesIn summary, this problem is taken directly out of a textbook and is a problem that can be solved with a geometric sequence. A student found an answer that wasn't in the textbook.
barryj

Homework Statement

This problem is taken directly out of a textbook.

"The first three terms of a geometric sequence are 1,2, and 4. Susanna said the 8th term of this sequence is 128. Paul said the 8th term is 29. Explain how the students found their answers. Why could these both be considered correct answers?

Homework Equations

a(n) = a(0)R^(n-1) terms for a geometric sequence with r being the common ratio, a(0) being the first term.

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, a(8) = 1(2)^(8-1) = 128.

So how could 29 be a correct answer?

The teachers edition of the algebra textbook does not give the solution to why 29 could be a correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
barryj said:

Homework Statement

This problem is taken directly out of a textbook.

"The first three terms of a geometric sequence are 1,2, and 4. Susanna said the 8th term of this sequence is 128. Paul said the 8th term is 29. Explain how the students found their answers. Why could these both be considered correct answers?

Homework Equations

a(n) = a(0)R^(n-1) terms for a geometric sequence with r being the common ratio, a(0) being the first term.

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, a(8) = 1(2)^(8-1) = 128.

So how could 29 be a correct answer?

The teachers edition of the algebra textbook does not give the solution to why 29 could be a correct answer.

What happens if you represent integers in a base other than 10?

Maybe, this is a problem out of the Algebra 1 textbook by Holt. I don't think they know about other number bases at that point but perhaps this is the answer. If it is a different base, it would have to be 10 or greater to have a 9 as a digit, yes?

a(n) = a(n-1) + n, given a(0) = 1.

Basically, add 1 to the first term to get the second term, add 2 to the second term to get third, etc...

Edit: Just realized that my formula isn't in the form of a geometric sequence.. you can ignore my post.

Ray Vickson said:
What happens if you represent integers in a base other than 10?

128 is the base 10 answer and it's even. 29 in any integer base is odd, isn't it?

Well, one of my students found an answer. The sequence is not geometric.

a(1) = 1
a(n) = a(n-1) + (n-1)

giving the sequence 1,2,4,7,11,16,22,29

barryj said:

a(1) = 1
a(n) = a(n-1) + (n-1)

Yeah, I managed to find a version of this question online here http://www.nbisd.org/users/0006/docs/Textbooks/Algebra1/A1c11.pdf. Note that the original problem doesn't have the word 'geometric' in it.

barryj said:

a(1) = 1
a(n) = a(n-1) + (n-1)

I know I said to ignore my post, but I didn't mean completely. :(

scurty said:
I know I said to ignore my post, but I didn't mean completely. :(

Well, I looked at it. It was a good point. Turned out to be correct once 'geometric' was deleted from the problem statement.

My textbook, a Holt Algebra 1, did have the word geometric in it. I guess the later version had the problem corrected. It's still an interesting problem.

barryj said:
My textbook, a Holt Algebra 1, did have the word geometric in it. I guess the later version had the problem corrected. It's still an interesting problem.

Well, that's sloppy. And more annoying than interesting, I would say. A sequence starting with 1,2,4 can have any 8th term you want, if you are sufficiently creative with the rule that generates it. Check out http://oeis.org. I get 9014 hits on a sequence containing 1,2,4.

Last edited:

1. What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers in which each term after the first is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value, known as the common ratio. For example, the geometric sequence 2, 6, 18, 54, ... has a common ratio of 3.

2. How do you find the common ratio of a geometric sequence?

To find the common ratio of a geometric sequence, you can divide any term by the previous term. The result will be the common ratio. For example, in the sequence 2, 6, 18, 54, ... the common ratio is 3 because 6 divided by 2 is 3, 18 divided by 6 is 3, and so on.

3. What is the formula for finding the nth term of a geometric sequence?

The formula for finding the nth term of a geometric sequence is: an = a1 * rn-1, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

4. How do you determine if a given sequence is a geometric sequence?

To determine if a given sequence is a geometric sequence, you can check if the ratio of any term to the previous term is always the same. If it is, then the sequence is geometric. You can also use the formula for finding the nth term to see if it matches the given sequence.

5. What is the difference between a geometric sequence and an arithmetic sequence?

A geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers in which each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value, while an arithmetic sequence is a sequence of numbers in which each term is found by adding a constant value to the previous term. In other words, the difference between terms in a geometric sequence is found by multiplication, while the difference between terms in an arithmetic sequence is found by addition.