How can I improve my proofs in geometry?

In summary, the person struggles with geometry and finds it difficult to prove things in polygons due to the lack of obvious equal sides or angles. They ask for advice on what to look for in certain situations, but acknowledge that the answers may depend on each geometric figure. Another person suggests using a "moving parts" approach to better understand and visualize geometric concepts. The person then discusses the relationship between geometry and algebra, and the importance of pushing oneself to understand and apply proofs in geometry.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
Geometry is arguably my weakest link in mathematics. The answers just don't "hit me" in geometry like some other sections of math do.

When trying to prove something in a polygon, such as congruence of triangles made by segments etc. I find it difficult since the equal sides/angles aren't obvious to find.

Is there any advice you can give on what needs to be looked for in certain situations? or is this question simply too absurb since the answers depend on each geometric figure?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think if you can imagine it somehow, see what you're looking for and then see what's available to find it. Dont know really, perhaps someone else can offer better advise than I can.

I don't know if this will be of general benefit, but I think sometimes it's useful to have a mental image of the pieces in free movement, rather that fixed.

To put a simple example, suppose you have a triangle, and the length of 2 sides is given (plus probably some other condition). It's often useful to imagine two fixed-length rods and a moving joint in the angle, and mentally play with it, see how other conditions are affected when the angle goes <90 or >90, or too small, or close to 180. I often find this "moving parts" approach more insightful that just making a drawing and staring at it. Of course, then there are cases and cases.

mentallic, you are right; the relationships often do not fly out at you, which is why Geometry (Euclidean, Plane) relies on proofs. Algebra works like language, but Geometry does not work so much like that. If the course is so tough for you to study, you need two, maybe three times longer to learn it. But do not expect to learn more effectively by merely doubling or tripling the hours per week - that would be a good start, but maybe not enough for everyone. You may need to spend LONGER in terms of weeks as well.

Some people do well or enjoy Algebra 1/2 but not Geometry; some people enjoy or do well in Geometry but find Algebra 1/2 more difficult. Then, also, some people do well and enjoy the two levels of Algebra and the Geometry.

symbolipoint said:
Some people do well or enjoy Algebra 1/2 but not Geometry;
I mainly focus my mathematics studies on algebra, because I do enjoy it and always want to learn more about it. Possibly because I'm not good at geometry could be the reason why I barely study it.
I think I need to push myself in this field of study, to expand on the proofs I know and apply them to these incognito shapes that hold proofs.

Geometry and algebra are inter related. Once you figure that out, both fields become relatively easier.

Related to How can I improve my proofs in geometry?

1. What is a geometrical polygon proof?

A geometrical polygon proof is a mathematical method used to prove the validity of a statement or theorem about the properties of polygons. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical principles to demonstrate that a statement is true.

2. What are the steps involved in a geometrical polygon proof?

The steps involved in a geometrical polygon proof include:

1. Clearly stating the given information and what needs to be proven.
  2. Identifying any relevant theorems or properties that can be used to support the proof.
  3. Constructing a diagram or figure that represents the given information.
  4. Using logical reasoning and deductive reasoning to make statements and draw conclusions about the figure.
  5. Providing a written explanation or justification for each step taken in the proof.
  6. Concluding with a statement that summarizes the proof and restates the original statement in a proven form.

3. How is a geometrical polygon proof different from other types of proofs?

A geometrical polygon proof is a specific type of proof that focuses on the properties of polygons and the relationships between their sides, angles, and vertices. It uses geometric concepts and principles to prove the validity of a statement, whereas other types of proofs may use algebraic or logical methods.

4. What are some common challenges in constructing a geometrical polygon proof?

Some common challenges in constructing a geometrical polygon proof include:

• Ensuring that all given information is included and accurately represented in the figure.
  • Using the correct notation and terminology to clearly communicate the steps and reasoning in the proof.
  • Identifying the relevant theorems and properties that can be used to support the proof.
  • Applying logical reasoning and making accurate deductions from the given information.

5. How can I improve my skills in constructing geometrical polygon proofs?

To improve your skills in constructing geometrical polygon proofs, you can:

• Practice with a variety of different polygons and given information to become familiar with common patterns and strategies.
  • Review and study the properties and theorems related to polygons to strengthen your understanding and ability to apply them in proofs.
  • Seek feedback and guidance from a teacher or mentor to identify areas for improvement.
  • Work through examples and exercises in a step-by-step manner to develop a systematic approach to constructing proofs.