Geophysics to Physics: Making the Transition

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in theoretical physics and their dilemma between pursuing a PhD in geophysics with a focus on subjects like quantum mechanics and particle physics or completing their undergraduate degree in geophysics and then applying for a PhD in physics. The speaker expresses concern about the potential for both options to lead to a career as a good physics professor. They seek advice and further suggestions on the matter.
zodas
I am an undergrad with geophysics major.
Well...my course does contain some substantial amount of physics, but it does lack the thrills of quantum mechanics and particle physics(and probably something more).

Frankly, i am highly fascinated by the subjects like QM, particle physics.

I have a strong inclination towards theoretical physics.. and i do want to pursue my career in this (may be as good professor or working as a scientist). I don't have the provision to shift my majors now...its too late, and we don't have dual majors. At this situation i feel like i have two choices.

1. To do my phd in geophysics(from some good university)...on topic overlapping with QM and particle physics (like the cosmic rays).

But i am still not sure whether this will take me to that level(as a good physics professor) or not ?...(help me out on this).

2. To complete my B.S in geophysics and apply for phd in physics(which does seem to be quiet difficult).The problem is that i may not get in good univs. And that would also take a lot of extra work and much more time.

Which one do you think is a better option ?
and if you have any more suggestions,,,,then you are welcome.

I am really curious about option 1...it does to seem to be better but will this actually help me reach my destiny ?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is geophysics?

Geophysics is a scientific field that studies the physical properties and processes of the Earth and other planets. This includes topics such as the Earth's structure, composition, and dynamics, as well as phenomena like earthquakes, volcanoes, and plate tectonics.

2. How does geophysics relate to physics?

Geophysics is a subfield of physics that focuses specifically on the physical properties and processes of the Earth and other planets. It uses principles and methods from various branches of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, to study these topics.

3. What are some common techniques used in geophysics?

Geophysicists use a variety of techniques to study the Earth, including seismic imaging, gravity and magnetic surveys, and remote sensing. These techniques involve measuring and analyzing different physical properties of the Earth, such as its density, magnetic field, and surface features.

4. What are some practical applications of geophysics?

Geophysics has many practical applications, including mineral and energy exploration, earthquake and tsunami monitoring, and groundwater and environmental studies. It is also used in engineering projects, such as building foundations and designing structures to withstand natural hazards.

5. How is geophysics important for understanding the Earth?

Geophysics plays a crucial role in helping us understand the Earth and its processes. By studying the physical properties and processes of the Earth, geophysicists can gain insights into its past, present, and future, as well as how it interacts with other planets and the larger universe. This knowledge is essential for addressing important global issues such as climate change and natural hazards.