Optimizing UV Wavelengths for Germicidal Effects in Water

In summary, the primary germicidal UV wavelength is 270nm and the secondary is 254nm, and in order to provide germicidal effects in water, the wavelength of the UV light source would not need to be changed to 360nm and 338nm respectively, assuming the index of refraction for water is 1.33. This is because the germicidal properties come from the frequency of the light, which does not change in different media. However, it should be noted that water has a deep absorption band in the UV, so the effectiveness of the light may be reduced with depth. The wavelength of light specified by manufacturers is likely for ergonomic purposes, but the wavelength and frequency are easily relatable through the speed
sbarton
If the primary germicidal UV wavelength is 270nm and the secondary is 254nm and I have a UV light source in air to provide germicidal effects in water, would the wavelength of the UV light source need to be 360nm and 338nm respectively assuming the index of refraction for water to be 1.33?

Physics news on Phys.org
Heh- now that's an interesting question! Never thought of that one.

My guess is no- the germicidal properties come from the *frequency* of the light- the energy, as opposed to the wavelength (the momentum). Since frequency does not change in different media, the lamp should still work.

Now, AFAIK, water has a deep absorption band in the UV: http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/images/watopt.gif , so the effect will be attenuated rapidly with depth.

Try it out- I'm curious how well it works.

Can you try it?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting. All of the UV light source manufacturers that I know of quote wavelength of light rather than frequency but your argument makes sense. I suppose the wavelength of light specified for each light source is actually an indicator of the frequency? I think I will have to look into this more closely and perhaps talk to some of the UV light manufacturers.

BTW, I am going to try it - I just have to make sure my thinking is correct before purchasing the UV light source.

I suspect wavelength is quoted rather than frequency for 'ergonomic' purposes only: I understand intuitively what 500, 300, 250 nm wavelength light... ahem.. looks like. The wavelength and frequency are relatable via c= fw (f =frequency, w = wavelength, =speed of light) easily enough.

I suspect wavelength is quoted rather than frequency for 'ergonomic' purposes only: I understand intuitively what 500, 300, 250 nm wavelength light... ahem.. looks like. The wavelength and frequency are relatable via c = [itex]\lambda\nu[/itex], where [itex]\nu[/itex] is the frequency and [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the wavelength. c is the speed of light.

Edit: sorry for the double post... how odd.

Related to Optimizing UV Wavelengths for Germicidal Effects in Water

What is Germicidal UV?

Germicidal UV refers to ultraviolet (UV) radiation that has the ability to kill microorganisms, such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi. It is commonly used in medical settings, water treatment plants, and other environments to disinfect surfaces and air.

What is the wavelength of Germicidal UV?

The wavelength of Germicidal UV is typically between 200 and 300 nanometers (nm), which falls in the UVC range. UVC radiation is the most effective at killing microorganisms as it has the shortest wavelength and highest energy compared to other forms of UV radiation.

How does Germicidal UV work?

Germicidal UV works by damaging the DNA and RNA of microorganisms, which prevents them from reproducing and ultimately kills them. When exposed to UVC radiation, the genetic material of microorganisms becomes damaged, making them unable to survive or infect other organisms.

Is Germicidal UV safe?

Germicidal UV is generally safe when used properly. However, direct exposure to UVC radiation can be harmful to humans and can cause skin and eye damage. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use proper protective equipment when working with Germicidal UV.

What are the benefits of using Germicidal UV for disinfection?

There are several benefits to using Germicidal UV for disinfection. It is a chemical-free and environmentally friendly method of killing microorganisms. It is also effective against a wide range of pathogens and has a rapid kill rate. Additionally, Germicidal UV does not leave any residue or produce any harmful by-products.