1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Get a server running locally to run a Struts app

1. Mar 18, 2007 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I need to get a server running locally so I can run my 'Hello World' Java Web app.

This is the tutorial I'm using. Unless I misunderstand, all I really need to do is copy all the code into flat files with the appropriate filenames - and then compile it with Ant.

But how do I run it? At some point I'll need to call http : //localhost:8080/hello/HelloWorld

To compile I'm going to need access to servlet.jar. A search of my drive shows nothing except associated with the Eclipse editor, yet I've got java rle and java sdk installed. I'm obviously missing some component.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2007 #2
    Well if nothing else you should be able to produce a war file. War is like a jar but suited for deploying on a web server. You put the war in the auto-deploy directory of the server, and when the Tomact or whatever Java server you have running it will deploy the web app from the war. Then you can access it. I would advise you to first make a simple JSP(Java Server Pages) appliaction and then go with Struts or some other web framework.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?