Getting an engineering job with a non engineering major

In summary, the student is looking to change majors to stay in state and not have to pay for their tuition at University of Maryland. They are working with the school to see if there is any wiggle room in the policy, but have not had any success so far.
engineerhopeful
Hi all,

I am a student beginning my second semester of college in the spring. I am currently attending a community college and I am looking to transfer to the University of Maryland because it is in state tuition for me and they have my intended program of study, Aerospace Engineering. To transfer into their engineering program they have certain gateway course requirements that make or break your admission. In the case of engineering this is a B in Physics I, a B in Calculus II, and a C in Chemistry. Only allowing you to repeat one of these courses one time to achieve the required grade. In my case, I made the dumb mistake of taking the calculus based Physics I class my senior year of high school. Between my high school load and having to commute to class on top of that, I only got a C in the class and therefore have used my repeat this first semester (now I have a 98%). This meant that I had to get a B in Calc II the first time because I have used my repeat. Unfortunately I ended up with a 78 and some change this semester in Calc II and couldn't convince my instructor to push me over the edge. So therefore I am ineligible for the Engineering School at University of Maryland. I am currently working with them to see if there is any wiggle room in this policy with no success so far.

Due to this I am now looking at the possibility to change majors in order to stay in state and not have to pay Student loans for the next 90 years of my life. I have applied for many scholarships without much success so I can't justify the cost of going out of state. I was wondering if it is possible to get a job in the aerospace engineering industry as a physics major and make comparable money as I know an "aerospace engineering" degree makes more money on paper than a physicist.

Obviously the main goal is to find a loop hole in the system and get into the school of engineering at UMD but if that doesn't happen I would like to have a plan B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go the community college route. Most of the general ed requirements at state Universities, are packed to the the brim with students. Going to a community college, will allow you to finish you're degree cheaper, help you adjust to college life, and to have more time with an instructor in theory. No offense, but it is kind of retarted to change majors because of not being admitted to a school.

sorry, i thought you were a high school student. Ignore my post.

Perhaps go for a physics major. Take many engineering electives if that is possible. Then try to get admitted to a masters or PhD in aerospace engineering. I don't know how feasible this plan is.

1. Can I get an engineering job with a non-engineering major?

Yes, it is possible to get an engineering job with a non-engineering major. Many companies value skills and experience over a specific degree, so it is important to highlight any relevant coursework or projects in your resume and cover letter.

2. What skills do I need to have to get an engineering job with a non-engineering major?

Some essential skills for an engineering job include problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical skills. If your non-engineering major has provided you with these skills, be sure to highlight them in your job application.

3. How can I make my non-engineering major stand out to potential employers?

One way to make your non-engineering major stand out is by emphasizing any relevant coursework or projects that you have completed. Additionally, highlighting transferable skills such as teamwork, communication, and time management can also make you a strong candidate for an engineering job.

4. Will I need to go back to school to get an engineering job with a non-engineering major?

It depends on the specific job and company. Some employers may require a specific engineering degree, while others may be open to hiring candidates with a non-engineering major if they have relevant skills and experience. It is important to research the job requirements and be prepared to explain how your non-engineering major has prepared you for the role.

5. Are there any industries or companies that are more open to hiring non-engineering majors for engineering positions?

Some industries, such as technology and consulting, tend to be more open to hiring non-engineering majors for engineering roles. Additionally, smaller companies or startups may be more willing to consider candidates with non-engineering backgrounds. It is important to research the industry and company you are applying to in order to understand their hiring practices.