Getting derivative of the following function using L'Hopital?

In summary, the function given can't be evaluated at a limit because the numerators of both fractions are non-zero while the denominators go to 0.
KataKoniK
Getting limit of the following function using L'Hopital?

I have tried this question 5 times and each time I get a diff answer. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but here's the question. Any help?

lim
x-> 0

(4/x^2) - (2 / (1 - cos x))

edited - for typo in subject heading

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, you don't mean "getting the derivative", you mean "finding the limit".

Second, exactly what is the function? The way you have written it, I would interpret it as (4/x^2)- 2/(1- cos x). Since the numerators of both fractions are non-zero while the denominators go to 0, there is NO limit. Certainly L'Hopital would not apply at all here.

Sorry about the typo.

Your interpretation is correct, so the answer DNE then? Furthermore, I just have a general question. How does 2sin x cosx−2x become sin 2x - 2x? I was just looking at past set solutions and it just suddenly does that. I don't understand

That is due to the following trig identity:
[tex]\sin{2x}=2\sin{x}\cos{x}[/tex]

Got it. It's the double angle formula. Guess I just have to memorize it.

Last edited:
That identity can be easily derived from the (hopefully) more familiar one below:
[tex]\sin{a+b}=\sin{a}\cos{b}+\sin{b}\cos{a}[/tex]
Defining both [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] as the the same variable [itex]x[/itex], it is obvious that we get the previous identity for [itex]\sin{2x}[/itex]. To be efficient at trigonometric limits, you should know these identities well, unless they are given to you in tests for reference.

KataKoniK said:
I have tried this question 5 times and each time I get a diff answer. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but here's the question. Any help?limx-> 0(4/x^2) - (2 / (1 - cos x))

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{4}{x^{2}}-\frac{2}{1-\cos x}=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{4-4cosx-2x^{2}}{x^{2}(1-\cos x)} [/tex]

=[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{4\sin x-4x}{2x(1-\cos x)+x^{2}\sin x}=
4\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\cos x-1}{2(1-\cos x)+4x\sin x+x^{2}\cos x}[/tex]

=[tex]-4\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin x}{2\sin x+4\sin x+4x\cos x+2x\cos x-x^{2}\sin x} [/tex]

=[tex]-4\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\cos x}{6\cos x+6\cos x-8x\sin x-x^{2}\cos x}=-\frac{4}{12}=-\frac{1}{3} [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited:
Elegant way:
Use the fact that close to zero:
[tex] \cos x=1-\frac{x^{2}}{2}+\frac{x^{4}}{24}-... [/tex]
,then the limit becomes:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{4}{x^{2}}-\frac{2}{1-1+\frac{x^{2}}{2}-\frac{x^{4}}{24}}=...=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{48x^{2}-4x^{4}-48x^{2}}{12x^{4}-x^{6}}[/tex]
=[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{-4}{12-x^{2}}=-\frac{1}{3} [/tex]

Check it is still true for another term from the MacLaurin expansion of cosx
[tex] \cos x=1-\frac{x^{2}}{2}+\frac{x^{4}}{24}-\frac{x^{6}}{720}+...[/tex]

Daniel.

HallsofIvy said:
Since the numerators of both fractions are non-zero while the denominators go to 0, there is NO limit.Certainly L'Hopital would not apply at all here.

Check post number 7.I guess i applied it 4 times. :wink:

Daniel.

Thanks a lot Daniel. Saw my mistake!

What is the L'Hopital's rule?

The L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical tool used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of a function f(x) as x approaches a certain value is indeterminate, then the limit of the quotient of the derivatives of f(x) and g(x) as x approaches the same value is equal to the limit of f(x)/g(x).

When is L'Hopital's rule applicable?

L'Hopital's rule is applicable when the limit of the function f(x) is in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It can also be applied when the limit is of the form 0*∞ or ∞-∞.

What are the steps to use L'Hopital's rule?

The steps to use L'Hopital's rule are:
1. Simplify the function and check if it is in an indeterminate form.
2. Take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator.
3. Simplify the resulting fraction.
4. If the new function is still in an indeterminate form, repeat the process until the limit can be evaluated.

Can L'Hopital's rule be used for all functions?

No, L'Hopital's rule can only be used for functions that are continuous and differentiable in the given interval. It is also only applicable for indeterminate forms and cannot be used for limits that can be evaluated directly.

What are the limitations of L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule cannot be applied to functions that are not continuous and differentiable in the given interval. It also cannot be used for limits that can be evaluated directly, as well as for infinite limits. Additionally, using L'Hopital's rule may lead to incorrect results if applied incorrectly or repeatedly on the same function.