Getting Harmonics using Fourier Series

In summary, the sound wave has an excess air pressure for a period of 1/220 to 1/330. The harmonics are intensity 1/5, 1/7, 1/49, and 1/660.
tsumi

Homework Statement

p(t)={ -1 from -1/220 to -1/330
0 from -1/330 to -1/660
1 from -1/660 to 1/660
0 from 1/660 to 1/330;
-1 from 1/330 to 1/220 }

p(t) represents the period of the excess air pressure of a sound wave. Find the harmonics and their intensity.

Homework Equations

(1) p(t) = A0/2 + Ʃ ( An cos(2.n.pi.f0.t) + Bn sin(2.n.pi.f0.t) )

(2) An = 2f0 ∫ p(t).cos(2.n.pi.f0.t) dt (from 0 to 1/f0)

(3) Bn = 2f0 ∫ p(t).sin(2.n.pi.f0.t) dt (from 0 to 1/f0)

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem seams quite simple, but I am going crazy with it.

f0 the fundamental frequency, is the frequency of p(t) which is 110.

If you draw p(t) you can easily verify that it is an even function, so you will only need to calculate the coeficients An, using equation (2). This is so, because the integral of p(t) (even) times sin(2.n.pi.f0.t)(odd) yealds zero.

So I integrate p(t).cos(2.n.pi.f0.t) from zero to 1/220 and multiply by 2 in order to find An, but what I get is An=0, and it just can't be =S

I tried other equivalent approaches like integrating from -1/220 to +1/220; integrating from -1/220 to 0 and multiply by 2; etc. Always 0.

Would somebody help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us how you're getting 0 when you calculate an.

I cannot attach images, I press attachments and nothing happens...

But while I was trying to explain how I did it I noticed my error. At least a big one, because I'm not getting exactly the expected result yet.

The expected result for the relative intensities of the harmonics is:
1 : 0 : 0 : 0 : 1/25 : 0 : 1/49 ; being 1 the fundamental frequency.

What I get is: 1 : 0 : 0 : 0 : 1/5 : 0 : 1/7 ; also in the 5th coeficient I'm obtaining a negative value, is it ok for a coefficient to be negative?

My result for the An formula is as follows: (2/n.pi)(sin(n.pi/3) + sin(2n.pi/3))
The expected result suggests the 'n' of the first brackets on my An formula should be squared, but it makes no sense through my calculation.

But it would be nice if I could upload my work, any idea why it does not work?

Yes, a coefficient can be negative.

You can type in your work using LaTeX. Here's a FAQ on it. It's actually preferable to posting an attachment of your scanned work, which is often hard to read and inconvenient to work with.

And when I introduce the coefficient in the expanded series shall I put it positive or negative?

I finally got able to attach files, sorry I'm not using LaTex. I think it is readable, hope you understand it. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 1 Part.jpg
    1 Part.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 413
  • 2 Part.jpg
    2 Part.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 401
Your work looks fine. Remember power is proportional to the amplitude squared.

That's it! Thanks a lot =)

1. What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent periodic functions as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is based on the idea that any periodic function can be broken down into a series of harmonic components, or sinusoidal waves of different frequencies.

2. How can Fourier Series be used to get harmonics?

The Fourier series formula allows us to calculate the amplitude and frequency of each harmonic component in a periodic function. By adjusting the amplitude and frequency of these components, we can create harmonic patterns that correspond to specific musical notes or frequencies.

3. What is the relationship between harmonics and Fourier Series?

Harmonics are the integer multiples of the fundamental frequency of a periodic function. In other words, they are the building blocks of a complex wave. Fourier Series helps us to identify and manipulate these harmonics, making it a powerful tool in music and signal processing.

4. Can Fourier Series be used for non-periodic functions?

No, Fourier Series can only be used for periodic functions. This is because the formula relies on the concept of repeating patterns in a function, which is not present in non-periodic functions. However, there are other methods, such as the Fourier Transform, that can be used for non-periodic functions.

5. How is Fourier Series applied in real-world situations?

Fourier Series has many practical applications, including signal processing, data compression, and image and sound analysis. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze periodic phenomena. Additionally, Fourier Series is the basis for many other mathematical tools, such as the Fourier Transform and Laplace Transform.