Getting Into Quantum Physics: Is It Difficult?

In summary: It's a great introduction to the subject without assuming much prior knowledge of mathematics. In summary, quantum physics involves linear algebra, Fourier analysis, complex analysis, differential equations, and partial differential equations. The difficulty level depends on the individual's mathematical background. Some tricks and shortcuts can be used to solve complex problems. A recommended book for beginners is The Strange World of Quantum Mechanics by Daniel F. Styer.
Liger20
Hey, I've been thinking about getting into quantum physics, and I just wanted to ask whether it's very difficult or not. What does the mathematics involve? Is it something that someone other than an experienced mathematician can handle? Maybe I should check out relativity first...

Physics news on Phys.org
Liger20 said:
Hey, I've been thinking about getting into quantum physics, and I just wanted to ask whether it's very difficult or not. What does the mathematics involve? Is it something that someone other than an experienced mathematician can handle? Maybe I should check out relativity first...

It's the question what you understand by an "experienced mathematician" ;)
The mathematics involved are linear algebra ( you're working with linear operators ), fourieranalysis ( you're working with waves in Hilbert-spaces) and some complex analysis ( the wave functions are complex ). The difficulty depends largely on your background.

haushofer said:
It's the question what you understand by an "experienced mathematician" ;)
The mathematics involved are linear algebra ( you're working with linear operators ), fourieranalysis ( you're working with waves in Hilbert-spaces) and some complex analysis ( the wave functions are complex ). The difficulty depends largely on your background.

also add Differential Equations, and Partial Differential Equations (Schrodinger's Equation), but that's pretty much correct from my experience. I took 2 Quantum Mechanics courses so far, so I'm not too far in, but generally I didn't find the math to be very demanding. The biggest problem I had is that a lot of the derivations and examples we were given consisted of lots of weird ways of doing non-intuitive things to get your answer. For example... you are stuck, but if you note that you can add and subtract the same thing, suddenly you are done! or if you have |r|, that can actually be |r*e^ix| for ANY real x because magnitude of that e^ is always 1 so it's fine... small tricks like that from my experience get you very far. It also involves a lot of quite complicated integrals. But we now have ways of handling that with mathematica and things like that.

I still like it though... it really depends how much experience you have with maths, because there is a lot of it... (just like in any other physics course really)

If you were going to recommend a book on this subject, that doesn't have much assumed knowledge as far as the mathematics goes, what would you reccommend?
I looked at Quantum Mechanics Demystified, looked inside the book, but I found the math pretty intimidating.

Liger20 said:
If you were going to recommend a book on this subject, that doesn't have much assumed knowledge as far as the mathematics goes, what would you reccommend?

The Strange World of Quantum Mechanics by Daniel F. Styer.

What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It deals with fundamental principles that govern the behavior of these particles and how they interact with each other.

Why is quantum physics considered difficult?

Quantum physics is considered difficult because it involves complex mathematical equations and abstract concepts that can be challenging to understand. Additionally, the behavior of particles at the quantum level often goes against our intuitive understanding of the world, making it difficult to grasp.

What are some prerequisites for studying quantum physics?

To study quantum physics, one should have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, particularly in calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics. Familiarity with concepts such as wave-particle duality and probability is also helpful.

What are some key concepts in quantum physics?

Some key concepts in quantum physics include superposition, entanglement, uncertainty principle, and quantum tunneling. These concepts are fundamental to understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level and have significant implications in various fields, such as quantum computing and cryptography.

Is it necessary to have advanced degrees to work in quantum physics?

While advanced degrees, such as a Ph.D., are often required for research positions in quantum physics, there are also opportunities for individuals with bachelor's or master's degrees to work in this field. Many universities and research institutions offer undergraduate and graduate programs in quantum physics, providing a pathway to a career in this field.