Getting lots of error messages

• Bug
  • Thread starter Jonathan Scott
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses multiple error messages related to file permissions and file uploads on the Physics Forum website. These errors occur when using either Chrome or Firefox and are primarily seen on the main page. However, the issue seems to have been resolved by Greg.
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
I'm seeing multiple error messages similar to the following whenever I go to PF, either using Chrome or Firefox.

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/physicsf/cache/rss.sciam.com-sciam-physics.cache) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Read-only file system in [path]/includes/init.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 219

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup, me too. File permissions error. On the main page.

I'm finding that file (attachment) uploads are failing, also. The Attachment Manager allows me to browse and select the file, but reports "Upload of the file failed" after hitting the Upload button.

Jonathan Scott said:
I'm seeing multiple error messages similar to the following whenever I go to PF, either using Chrome or Firefox.

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/physicsf/cache/rss.sciam.com-sciam-physics.cache) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Read-only file system in [path]/includes/init.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 219

Ich auch.

Here as well. It will have to wait for Greg.

The same for me.

ehild

Same here, and chat is also inaccessible.

Thank you Greg - looks fine now

1. Why am I getting so many error messages?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a coding error in your program, compatibility issues with other software or systems, or incorrect input data. It's important to carefully review the error messages and troubleshoot the issue to determine the exact cause.

2. How can I reduce the number of error messages I receive?

One way to reduce error messages is to thoroughly test your code before running it. This can help catch any errors or bugs before they occur. Additionally, make sure to regularly update and maintain your software and systems to prevent compatibility issues.

3. Can error messages be beneficial?

Yes, error messages can provide valuable information about what went wrong in your program and help guide you towards a solution. They can also help identify potential security vulnerabilities or areas for improvement in your code.

4. Are all error messages the same?

No, there are different types of error messages that can indicate different problems. Some may be more severe and require immediate attention, while others may be more minor and can be addressed at a later time. It's important to carefully read and understand the specific error message to effectively troubleshoot the issue.

5. Should I ignore error messages?

No, it's important to address error messages in order to ensure the functionality and stability of your program. Ignoring error messages can lead to bigger issues down the line and make troubleshooting more difficult. It's best to address them as soon as they arise.