Getting the magnetic field as a function of current

In summary, a magnetic field is generated when an electric current is run through a wire. The relationship between current and magnetic field is linear.
vogtster
Howdy,

So, I'm curious, is there a general relationship between current input into an electromagnetic and the magnetic field that it generates in space? The trivial example is wrapping a wire around a rod, then sending a current through it which causes a magnetic field.

My set up is a simple circuit, where we have a power supply, resistor, and electromagnet. I want to solve maxwell equations, and I want to find the relationship between B and I, that is B(x,y,z,t,I).

I have Jackson, so if someone could refer me to an area in his book which may explain this, or any other sources I would appreciate it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
vogtster said:
My set up is a simple circuit, where we have a power supply, resistor, and electromagnet
So why ask? Experiment !

Jackson isn't very introductory. Hyperphysics is a lot friendlier...

It's may be difficult...
according to general equations it's linear relationship(like here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html or here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcur.html)

notice that usually all the computes are in specific area of the space, usually where the integral is easy to solve...
If you want to simulate your magnetic circuit(everywhere in space) you can use this software: http://www.femm.info/wiki/HomePage

but always remember: "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." and as I saw, especially in elctromagnets there is big difference

If there's ferromagnetic material involved you have some complications
its nonlinearity, google permeability
its memory google hysteresis , retentivity
its time dependence google Barkhausen
its own reaction to magnetic field google eddy current, retardation of magetization , magnetorestriction

Bozorth kinda 'wrote the book' on Ferromagnetism

my two cents, and probably it's overpriced at that.

Last edited:

1. How is the magnetic field related to current?

The magnetic field is directly proportional to the current passing through a wire or conductor. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field also increases.

2. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field as a function of current?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field as a function of current is B = μ0 * I / (2πr), where B is the magnetic field in Tesla, μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π * 10^-7), I is the current in Amps, and r is the distance from the wire in meters.

3. Can the magnetic field be manipulated by changing the current?

Yes, the magnetic field can be manipulated by changing the current. As mentioned earlier, the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current, so by increasing or decreasing the current, the strength of the magnetic field can be adjusted.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for the magnetic field is Tesla (T). However, it is more commonly measured in smaller units such as Gauss (G) or milliTesla (mT).

5. How can the magnetic field be visualized as a function of current?

The magnetic field can be visualized using a compass. When a current is passed through a wire, the compass needle will align itself with the direction of the magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field can also be visualized using a magnetic field sensor or using mathematical models and simulations.