Balancing Work and Engineering Studies: Tips for Success

• Thread starter renjiLambrusc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary: UT is a good choice because it is close to where you are currently living and it has a good engineering program. UTSA is a good back up school because it has a good engineering program and is also close to where you are currently living.
renjiLambrusc
Hey guys,

i am getting ready to transfer to either UT or UTSA for EE next august, i was wondering if any of you guys ever worked or had a job while going to university. i will have to work to pay rent so i was wondering how hectic it is trying to work and get good grades in engineering. i will be working as a CAD designer so I'm assuming a part time position will be all i could do.

thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, I worked during college as well.

It will depend on you really and how much time you put toward your studies (vs. your social life). Engineering can be quite time demanding but if you allow a proper amount of time for homework and studying, you can certainly do it while working part time.

CS

Yes, I worked part time at Hewlett Packard, ~ 55 years ago, at $1.50 per hour. I was a "junior engineer" and built circuits using vacuum tubes, like a 420 MHz grounded-grid receiver.
Bob S

thanks guys, that's all i needed to know- if it was possible. if others have done it then i will try my best as well.

I can understand your dilemna, renjiLambrusc. I am actually about to start at SLCC, and then I will be transfering to ISU when I have completed my generals; and I will have to work full time while doing it.

Why are you deciding on UT, or UTSA? Just curious.

UT is close to where i am now and UTSA is my back up school. i have friends who graduated from Cockrell, in Austin, and they loved it there. plus, i used to live in Austin for seven years so i already know the area. as long as i keep my 3.6 gpa i should be able to get into the EE program at UT. i wouldn't mind going to UTSA or Texas State Univ. though. i just want a degree.

What is the best way to manage my time while in university?

The best way to manage your time in university is to create a schedule and stick to it. Make sure to prioritize your tasks, set aside time for studying and completing assignments, and also make time for self-care and relaxation. It's important to find a balance between your academic responsibilities and your personal life.

How can I stay motivated and avoid burnout in university?

To stay motivated and avoid burnout in university, it's important to set realistic goals and celebrate your accomplishments. Don't be too hard on yourself and remember to take breaks when needed. Surround yourself with a supportive network of friends and family, and seek help from professors or academic advisors if you feel overwhelmed.

What are some effective study techniques for university courses?

Some effective study techniques for university courses include creating study guides, practicing active reading and note-taking, and participating in study groups. It's also helpful to break up your study sessions into smaller chunks and take breaks in between to avoid fatigue.

How can I make the most out of my university experience?

To make the most out of your university experience, try to get involved in extracurricular activities or clubs related to your interests. This can help you make new friends, develop new skills, and enhance your overall university experience. It's also important to take advantage of resources and support services offered by the university, such as career counseling or tutoring.

What are some tips for managing stress and anxiety in university?

Some tips for managing stress and anxiety in university include practicing self-care, such as exercising, getting enough sleep, and eating well. It's also important to reach out for help when needed, whether it's from a friend, family member, or mental health professional. Utilize stress management techniques, such as deep breathing or mindfulness, and prioritize tasks to avoid feeling overwhelmed.