Ghost Imaging - FLT, what is missing here?

• Thread starter San K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Imaging
In summary, ghost imaging is a technique where idler photons can be used to get an idea of an object's shape in the path of signal photons. This is achieved through second-order correlation functions and coincidence counters. While some argue that quantum entanglement is not necessary for ghost imaging, others believe it plays a role in the coincidence counts. Additionally, ghost imaging can also be performed with thermal light due to the small amount of correlation in photon number noise.
San K
In ghost imaging the idler photons can be used to get an idea of an object (say shape) in the path of the signal photons.

Is not the information of the shape of the object (in the path of the s-photon) being transmitted to p-photons (idlers) faster than light? (via entanglement)

What am I missing here? Is my understanding of Ghost imaging correct/complete?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13825

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
San K said:
In ghost imaging the idler photons can be used to get an idea of an object (say shape) in the path of the signal photons.

Is not the information of the shape of the object (in the path of the s-photon) being transmitted to p-photons (idlers) faster than light? (via entanglement)

What am I missing here? Is my understanding of Ghost imaging correct/complete?

i think i found the answer:

To get the ghost image the s and p- photons need to be paired via a co-incidence counter.

Is the above reasoning correct?

Can you provide a link regarding this Imaging technique

my_wan said:
Yes, though ghost imaging is based on second-order correlation functions.

Direct and ghost interference in double-slit experiments with coincidence measurements
http://arxiv.org/abs/0812.2633

A Novel Algorithm for Ghost Imaging with a Single Detector
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1101.4869

The second link...i.e. with single detector, shows that quantum entanglement is not required.

then why (do scientists/papers/experiments) use quantum entanglement and Co-incidence counter etc?

Last edited:
San K said:
The second link...i.e. with single detector, shows that quantum entanglement is not required.

then why (do scientists/papers/experiments) use quantum entanglement and Co-incidence counter etc?

That is what some claim and other differ.
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0608073

You will not always get good agreement on what constitutes and an "entanglement" either. For some it is the result of the coincidence count, for others it is the cause of the coincidence count. Remember the old warning: Correlation does not equal causation (even though causation always causes correlations). Coincidence count measure both, and the debate continues.

San K said:

Well, they do not really use just a single detector. They just use less info from the second detector than most other groups do. However, you are right that entanglement is not required. Ghost imaging works well with thermal light (but not with laser light) because the photon number noise in thermal light is also correlated (the second-order photon number autocorrelation function is not unity). This small amount of correlation is enough to perform ghost imaging.

Cthugha said:
Well, they do not really use just a single detector. They just use less info from the second detector than most other groups do. However, you are right that entanglement is not required. Ghost imaging works well with thermal light (but not with laser light) because the photon number noise in thermal light is also correlated (the second-order photon number autocorrelation function is not unity). This small amount of correlation is enough to perform ghost imaging.

thanks for the info

1. What is Ghost Imaging - FLT?

Ghost Imaging - FLT (Faint Light Technique) is a type of imaging technique used in astronomy to capture faint images of celestial objects. It involves using a combination of telescopes and computer algorithms to enhance the signal of the faint light emitted by these objects.

2. How does Ghost Imaging - FLT work?

Ghost Imaging - FLT works by splitting the light from a celestial object into two beams, one of which is directed towards a reference detector and the other towards a target object. The reference detector records the pattern of the light source, while the target object's detector records the combined signal of the reference light and the faint light emitted by the object. The computer algorithm then separates the signal from the reference light, leaving behind the image of the object.

3. What are the advantages of using Ghost Imaging - FLT?

One of the main advantages of Ghost Imaging - FLT is its ability to capture images of extremely faint celestial objects that would otherwise be undetectable. It also allows for higher resolution images to be obtained compared to traditional imaging techniques. Additionally, it is not affected by atmospheric interference, making it ideal for use in space-based telescopes.

4. What is missing in Ghost Imaging - FLT?

Ghost Imaging - FLT is a relatively new technique and is still undergoing development. As such, there are some limitations to its capabilities. One of the main limitations is that it can only capture static objects, as the reference light needs to be recorded simultaneously with the target object. It also requires precise calibration and alignment of the telescopes and detectors for optimal results.

5. How can Ghost Imaging - FLT be used in other fields besides astronomy?

While Ghost Imaging - FLT was originally developed for astronomy, it has potential applications in other fields such as medical imaging and remote sensing. In medical imaging, it could help capture images of tissues that are difficult to see with traditional techniques. In remote sensing, it could be used to capture images of objects through fog or other atmospheric conditions that hinder traditional imaging techniques.