Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gibbs Free Energy A Measure of Stability

1. Mar 26, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am having a little difficulty understand precisely what Gibbs free energy is. I have read in my textbook that a negative change in Gibbs free energy implies that the substance under consideration will react/change spontaneously. As such, the more negative the Gibbs free energy is, the more spontaneously the reaction/occurs. However, at another point in the book, the author states that the smaller the Gibbs free energy is, the more stable it is. This two ideas seem to be conflicting...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the Gibbs free energy is positive, the reaction will not proceed spontaneously. If it is negative, it is capable of proceeding spontaneously. The actual likelihood that it will proceed spontaneously increases as the Gibbs free energy gets more negative ie. as the magnitude of the negative Gibbs free energy increases.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook