Girl marries dog

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
franznietzsche said:
There is an aboriginal culture on an island north of australia, the Tiwi, where the role of the man in conception is entirely denied. The traditional belief is that a woman is impregnated by spirits, and this can happen at any time during her life. Consequently all women in the tribe were always married. Men didn't get married until 30 or so, and usually married an old widow as their first wife (who would then manage younger wives for him). But from the day of birth, women were always married, at all times, so that if she did become pregnant there would be a husband to care for the child.
Interesting. I have never read about the Tiwi culture, but I know that the Trobriand Islanders have very similar beliefs about conception being caused by ancestral spirits. They believe that the role of the father is to "nourish" the already present fetus though sexual intercourse, and that this is what causes the child to resemble the father. For someone to say that a baby does not resemble the father is a big insult!

Danger
Gold Member
Math Is Hard said:
For someone to say that a baby does not resemble the father is a big insult!
It doesn't always go over really well here either.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Math Is Hard said:
Interesting. I have never read about the Tiwi culture, but I know that the Trobriand Islanders have very similar beliefs about conception being caused by ancestral spirits. They believe that the role of the father is to "nourish" the already present fetus though sexual intercourse, and that this is what causes the child to resemble the father. For someone to say that a baby does not resemble the father is a big insult!

Honey, I think the fetus is hungry! :biggrin:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You're a sick woman, Moonbear. I think you take after Mom's side of the family. :tongue: :biggrin:

Ba
I found a slightly more informative site, here , I decided to do this as one of my current events for English.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thanks, Ba. Your current event topic should be quite a hoot in English class! I've always loved those News of the Weird type of stories.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You folks are making too big a deal of this ! :eek: How much more progressive can you ask a culture to get, eh ? :rolleyes: Isn't this, after all, your average Christian conservative's worst nightmare ? :wink: (no ill intended to any average Christian conservatives here)

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
From Ba's link
The marriage ceremony was facilitated by Utkal Bikash Mancha, an NGO which works among tribals in the state. Justifying the marriage, an office-bearer of the NGO said they were trying to preserve the primitive culture of the tribals through the ceremony.

man, these kinds of articles sicken me, this happened so long ago, but it is so blown up that now almost anyone who reads it will think that all little girls in India are married to dogs.. Some fools in a little remote village act according to their ancestral beliefs and it is blasted out in the media.. These kinds of things happen in almost every country, by that I mean weird things like this, just today a woman got arrested in the US for selling her daughter for a car and forcing her 11 year old daughter to have sex, now why doesn't anyone post that here? Go to CNN if you don't believe me...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/13/daughters.sold.ap/index.html [Broken]

I would rather have someone act foolishly and just "marry" their daughter to a dog, of course she will marry a man later, than someone selling their daughter to a man for a car and forcing their little child to prostitute..

Last edited by a moderator: