1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given the sum of a series and a term how would you find Tn?

1. Jan 26, 2015 #1
    Hi all, given the sum of a series and a single term how would one find the nth term? Any help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can't. That's obviously impossible. There exist an infinite number of series having a given specific term and converging to a give value.

Suppose you are given the term "[itex]a_i[/itex]", for i a specific number, and that the sum is "S". Choose "A" to be any number and write the geometric sequence that converges to [itex]S- a_i[/itex]. Then the series consisting first term A, the rest of the geometric series with "[itex]a_i[/itex]" stuck in a the ith place, has sum S.

4. Jan 26, 2015 #3
    It's arithmetic, never mind I figured it out, apologies for wasted time.

t6=32
    s9=234
    32=a+5d
    d=(32-a)/5

234=0.5*9(2a+8((32-a)/5))
    a=2
    d=6
    Tn=6n-4

5. Jan 27, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In your original post you said "given the sum of a series and a single term". What are "t6", "s9", "a" and "d".

6. Jan 27, 2015 #5
    a is the first term, d is the difference between terms, t6 is 6th term, s9 is sum of the first 9 terms

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook