Given the sum of a series and a term how would you find Tn?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the nth term of a series given the sum of the series and a single term. It is determined that this is impossible, but a solution is provided using a geometric series. The final formula for finding the nth term is Tn = 6n-4. The conversation also clarifies the variables used: a is the first term, d is the difference between terms, t6 is the 6th term, and s9 is the sum of the first 9 terms.
Superposed_Cat
Hi all, given the sum of a series and a single term how would one find the nth term? Any help appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can't. That's obviously impossible. There exist an infinite number of series having a given specific term and converging to a give value.

Suppose you are given the term "[itex]a_i[/itex]", for i a specific number, and that the sum is "S". Choose "A" to be any number and write the geometric sequence that converges to [itex]S- a_i[/itex]. Then the series consisting first term A, the rest of the geometric series with "[itex]a_i[/itex]" stuck in a the ith place, has sum S.

It's arithmetic, never mind I figured it out, apologies for wasted time.

t6=32
s9=234
32=a+5d
d=(32-a)/5

234=0.5*9(2a+8((32-a)/5))
a=2
d=6
Tn=6n-4

In your original post you said "given the sum of a series and a single term". What are "t6", "s9", "a" and "d".

a is the first term, d is the difference between terms, t6 is 6th term, s9 is sum of the first 9 terms

FAQ: Given the sum of a series and a term how would you find Tn?

1. How do you find the value of Tn in a given series and term?

To find the value of Tn, you can use the formula Tn = Sn - Sn-1, where Sn is the sum of the first n terms of the series and Sn-1 is the sum of the first n-1 terms. This formula works for both arithmetic and geometric series.

2. Can Tn be negative?

Yes, Tn can be negative depending on the values of the series and term. If the series is decreasing or the term is a negative number, then Tn can be negative.

3. What if the series does not have a specific pattern?

If the series does not have a specific pattern, then it may not be possible to find a general formula for Tn. In this case, you may need to calculate Tn manually by adding the terms in the series until you reach the desired term.

4. Is there a difference between Tn and Sn?

Yes, Tn and Sn represent different values. Tn is the value of a specific term in a series, while Sn is the sum of a certain number of terms in a series. Tn can be calculated using the formula Tn = Sn - Sn-1, where Sn is the sum of the first n terms of the series and Sn-1 is the sum of the first n-1 terms.

5. Can Tn be a decimal or a fraction?

Yes, Tn can be a decimal or a fraction depending on the values of the series and term. For example, in a geometric series with a common ratio between 0 and 1, Tn can be a fraction. In an arithmetic series, Tn can be a decimal if the common difference is not a whole number.