The rule for the sum of this series?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Saracen Rue
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Saracen Rue
Messages
150
Reaction score
10
TL;DR
What is the rule for the following series: $$\frac {1}{1×3}+\frac {1}{5×7}+\frac {1}{9×11}...$$
Consider the following series with the following pattern $$\frac {1}{1×3}+\frac {1}{5×7}+\frac {1}{9×11}...$$

How would you go about working out what the general rule for this sum is? That is in the form of ##\sum_{n=a}^{b}f(n)##

Any help is greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your sum is $$\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{(4n+1)(4n+3)}$$

Do you have to evaluate it?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Saracen Rue
Math_QED said:
Your sum is $$\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{(4n+1)(4n+3)}$$

Do you have to evaluate it?
Thank you so much, this had really been bugging me. I actually did try testing that mentally but I guess I messed something up.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 587159
Math_QED said:
Your sum is $$\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{(4n+1)(4n+3)}$$

Do you have to evaluate it?
Continuing the processing: [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(4n+1)(4n+3)}=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(\frac{1}{4n+1}-\frac{1}{4n+3})=\frac{\pi}{8}[/itex]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mfb