How to find Sn from Un? (sum of series)

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter terryds
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 6K views
terryds
Messages
392
Reaction score
13
How to derive Sn (sum formula of series) from Un (nth-term of series) ?

In my textbook (in the Mathematical Induction chapter), it's shown that
##\frac{1}{1\times 3}+\frac{1}{3\times5}+\frac{1}{5\times7}+...+\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}=\frac{n}{2n+1}##

I know how to proof it by mathematical induction,

But, I want to know how to derive the Sn (sum formula of series) from Un..
I mean, how to get Sn = ##\frac{n}{2n+1}##
From Un = ##\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}## ??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nasu said:
There is a factor of 2 missing, isn't it?
Yes, of course. I could pretend that it really was to test you, but I plain forgot. The long and short of it is that the parts cancel out and you are left with the first and last element.
 
Svein said:
Just a small hint: [itex]\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}=\frac{1}{2n-1}-\frac{1}{2n+1}[/itex]. Now insert n=1 and n=2 and add...

But, ##\frac{1}{2n-1}-\frac{1}{2n+1}=\frac{2}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}## not ##\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}##

However, I can write it ##\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)} = \frac{1}{2}\times(\frac{1}{2n-1}-\frac{1}{2n+1})##

Then, what should I do to determine the Sn formula??

For n = 1, then U1= 1/3
For n = 2, then U2= 1/15
For n = 3, then U3 = 1/35

However, the difference between term 1 and term 2 is not the same as the difference between term 2 and term 3
Also, the ratio is different
How to determine Sn??
 
As I said, write it out for n=1, 2, 3. This gives: [itex]S_{3}=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{5}-\frac{1}{7})[/itex]. Do you see a pattern?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: terryds
Svein said:
As I said, write it out for n=1, 2, 3. This gives: [itex]S_{3}=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{5}-\frac{1}{7})[/itex]. Do you see a pattern?

Yupp
It seems like Sn = ## \frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{1}{2n+1})##
Simplified it Sn = ##\frac{n}{2n+1}##

Thanks for your help!