How to find Sn from Un? (sum of series)

• Thread starter terryds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive the Sn formula (sum formula of series) from the Un formula (nth-term of series). The method involves using mathematical induction and a small hint of \frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}=\frac{1}{2n-1}-\frac{1}{2n+1}. By writing out the terms for different values of n and finding a pattern, it is determined that Sn = \frac{n}{2n+1}.
terryds
How to derive Sn (sum formula of series) from Un (nth-term of series) ?

In my textbook (in the Mathematical Induction chapter), it's shown that
##\frac{1}{1\times 3}+\frac{1}{3\times5}+\frac{1}{5\times7}+...+\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}=\frac{n}{2n+1}##

I know how to proof it by mathematical induction,

But, I want to know how to derive the Sn (sum formula of series) from Un..
I mean, how to get Sn = ##\frac{n}{2n+1}##
From Un = ##\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}## ??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just a small hint: [itex]\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}=\frac{1}{2n-1}-\frac{1}{2n+1} [/itex]. Now insert n=1 and n=2 and add...

There is a factor of 2 missing, isn't it?

nasu said:
There is a factor of 2 missing, isn't it?
Yes, of course. I could pretend that it really was to test you, but I plain forgot. The long and short of it is that the parts cancel out and you are left with the first and last element.

Svein said:
Just a small hint: [itex]\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}=\frac{1}{2n-1}-\frac{1}{2n+1} [/itex]. Now insert n=1 and n=2 and add...

But, ##\frac{1}{2n-1}-\frac{1}{2n+1}=\frac{2}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}## not ##\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}##

However, I can write it ##\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)} = \frac{1}{2}\times(\frac{1}{2n-1}-\frac{1}{2n+1})##

Then, what should I do to determine the Sn formula??

For n = 1, then U1= 1/3
For n = 2, then U2= 1/15
For n = 3, then U3 = 1/35

However, the difference between term 1 and term 2 is not the same as the difference between term 2 and term 3
Also, the ratio is different
How to determine Sn??

As I said, write it out for n=1, 2, 3. This gives: [itex]S_{3}=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{5}-\frac{1}{7}) [/itex]. Do you see a pattern?

Likes terryds
Svein said:
As I said, write it out for n=1, 2, 3. This gives: [itex]S_{3}=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{5}-\frac{1}{7}) [/itex]. Do you see a pattern?

Yupp
It seems like Sn = ## \frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{1}{2n+1})##
Simplified it Sn = ##\frac{n}{2n+1}##

Thanks for your help!

1. What is the formula for finding Sn from Un?

The formula for finding Sn, the sum of a series, from Un, the nth term, is Sn = n/2 * (a + l), where a is the first term and l is the last term.

2. How do I know which values to plug into the formula?

To use the formula for finding Sn, you will need to know the value of n, the number of terms in the series, and the values of the first and last terms, a and l.

3. Can the formula be used for any type of series?

Yes, the formula for finding Sn can be used for any arithmetic series, where the difference between consecutive terms is constant.

4. Is there a simpler way to find Sn without using the formula?

Yes, if the series is an arithmetic series, you can use the shortcut formula Sn = (n/2) * (a + a + d(n-1)), where d is the common difference between terms.

5. Are there any other methods for finding Sn besides the formula and shortcut formula?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a table or graph to find patterns in the series, or using a calculator to sum the terms. However, the formula and shortcut formula are the most commonly used methods for finding Sn.