Understanding Global Dimming: Effects of Pollution on Sunlight and Climate

• Thread starter Badass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Global
In summary, global dimming is a phenomenon that is caused by the pollution effects of sunlight over the whole world, particularly in places like south east asia where there is a hell of a lot of coal burning and eccesive factories burning toxins. The worst culprit of all is probably high altitude aircraft. In some places around the world the sunlight has fallen by 20% due to all this crap in the atmosphere. This has also accounted for drought back in the eighties in Africa as rainfall has plummeted.
Badass
As we know about global warming , how many of you have heard of global dimming? As you may well guess, it's all to do with the pollution effects of sunlight over the whole world, particularly in places like south east asia where there is a hell of a lot of coal burning and eccesive factories burning toxins. The worst culprit of all is probably high altitude aircraft. In some places around the world the sunlight has fallen by 20% due to all this crap in the atmosphere. This has also accounted for drought back in the eighties in Africa as rainfall has plummeted. It goes show just what global warming is doing and the balance must be restored.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I guess we have been there and here too. I'm not sure if all those conclusions about drought are all that accurate. It may all be a wee bit more complicated.

Your name is exactly the same as mine only mine has an " I " on the end.

I havnt read a lot about the isse "global dimming" but sunlight is decreasing think of the problems that will create. Less energy for solar power. Decresing farming and tree growth, added to our current problem of rain forests being cut down at alarming rates. Where will get get our oxygen?

blimkie said:
I havnt read a lot about the isse "global dimming" but sunlight is decreasing think of the problems that will create. Less energy for solar power. Decresing farming and tree growth, added to our current problem of rain forests being cut down at alarming rates. Where will get get our oxygen?
Solar power? How much solar power are we getting now?

In the US, there's more forest land then there was back around the Native American times.

We'll get our oxygen from the air! :confused:

Last edited:

1. What is global dimming?

Global dimming refers to the decrease in the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth's surface due to the presence of pollution in the atmosphere. This phenomenon is caused by the reflection and absorption of sunlight by tiny particles, called aerosols, in the air.

2. How does pollution affect global dimming?

Pollution, specifically the release of particulate matter and aerosols from human activities such as burning fossil fuels and industrial processes, can contribute to global dimming by increasing the number of particles in the air. These particles can reflect and absorb sunlight, reducing the amount of sunlight that reaches the Earth's surface.

3. What are the effects of global dimming on climate?

The decrease in sunlight due to global dimming can have a cooling effect on the Earth's surface, as less energy from the sun is reaching it. This can lead to changes in temperature, precipitation patterns, and wind patterns, which can impact weather and climate systems globally. Additionally, global dimming can also affect the Earth's water cycle and the formation of clouds.

4. Can global dimming be reversed?

Unlike global warming, which can have long-term effects, global dimming can be reversed relatively quickly if measures are taken to reduce air pollution. As the particles in the air settle or are removed, the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth's surface can increase again. However, it is important to note that reducing air pollution is crucial for both mitigating the effects of global dimming and addressing global warming.

5. How can we reduce global dimming?

To reduce global dimming, we must address the root cause: air pollution. This can be achieved through measures such as reducing emissions from vehicles and industries, transitioning to cleaner energy sources, and implementing stricter regulations on pollutants. Additionally, reforestation and reducing deforestation can also help to improve air quality and reduce global dimming.