Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Glucose foods

1. Aug 19, 2005 #1
    Can anyone tell me what kinds of food contain high concentrate of glucose?

thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2005 #2
    Candy / soft drinks / anything sweet... but you probably knew that.
  4. Aug 19, 2005 #3
    Very high glycemic index
  5. Aug 19, 2005 #4
    i guess so... thats for people who have insulin problems? diabetics?
  6. Aug 19, 2005 #5
    pasta, rice, bread things of that nature. basically a lot of stuff that is cut out of an atkin's diet.
  7. Aug 20, 2005 #6

i heard it is bad for the body
  8. Aug 20, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As a type II diabetic I have been on the receiving end of a lot of diet advice. One thing I was told and you can check out is that potatoes are quickly converted to some sugar (I don't know if it's glucose) in the bloodstream
  9. Aug 20, 2005 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Honey, maple syrup and some fruits such as grape, contain glucose as well as other sugars. Glucose is also added to food manufactured foods such as; candy, chewing gum, jams, jellies, and table syrups.

Many foods contain other sugars such as; sucrose, maltose, fructose and lactose. When consumed, these sugars can raise your blood-glucose levels and if metabolized further are converted to energy, carbon-dioxide and water. Starches (pasta, bread, rice, potato) are complex carbohydrates and do not contain glucose as such, but larger molecules. When metabolized, starches will also increase your blood-glucose level.
  10. Oct 30, 2005 #9
    Hmm.. :surprised: Are there any sugars we cannot digest!!??

Yes, lactose-intolerants do not process lactose. But I'm referring to the human digestive tract in the
    "most tolerant" :rolleyes: humans.

:shy: There might be some sugars we cannot digest--....I mean what are they?
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  11. Oct 31, 2009 #10
    Yes, but glucose is not bad at all and it only contains a little bit of glucose. Glucose is good because it activates your brain to know it is getting food in. What is wrong with all those things is the fructose in it. fructose becomes for most of the part fat and it doesn't give a signal to the body that there is comming in nutritions! So think twice before giving your kids a coke; coke is hitting the liver, even better coke = ethanol (beer) without the buzz!
  12. Oct 31, 2009 #11
    The only thing why an atkin's diet works is because it's cutting out all fructose by it! So actually eating small amounts of glucose and complex carbs is good for you.
  13. Oct 31, 2009 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are starting a conversation with someone who has not been on the forum for two years. Please watch the date of a thread before replying, or start a new one if you want to discuss something.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?