Exploring the Myth of High-Speed Travel Through Walls

• Thread starter superweirdo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary: But even if they don't have a rest mass, they are still thought to be traveling at the speed of light.In summary, there is some evidence that suggests that something with incredibly fast speed can go through solid objects, but it is still a theory and has not been proven.
superweirdo
I saw in a series on discovery channel that sometimes, when something travels too fast, it can go through walls like it is invisible. But my physics teacher told me that that is rediculous, that he has never heard of it. I am really sure that I heard that b/c they even showed a video of a ufo doing it.(virtual) Is it just a myth, a theory, or a truth?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure in what manner you mean 'invisible'. It is possible that something with the right vibrational frequency and atomic distribution could 'phase' through another solid object. In fact, if you leave two objects in contact for several times the lifespan of the universe, it could, theoretically, occur spontaneously.
On the other hand, if you mean penetration of one object by sheer force, it happens all the time. Bullets, for example, or the proverbial straw in a hurricane.

I mean that an object w/ tremendoes speed(probably faster than light) goes through another object without doing anything to it, but everytime, not once colliding.

Lose the idea about 'faster than light'. Ain't going to happen.
If a collision happened with one or both of the objects moving at relativistic speed, there would be one horrendous explosion due to the heat of compression and friction. You can see what happens to a meteor, which is not at anywhere near the kind of speed you're implying, when it collides with some itty-bitty air molecules.

If you are a science student danger, I am sure you know what is the meaning of "assume".

What was that movie where the car could drive through mountains? Dang, the name escapes me at the moment. It kind of looked like a UFO, or maybe more like a DeLorean (no not Back To The Future). Seemed pretty well based in science.

You might be talking about quantum tunneling. Note that quantum tunneling has nothing to do with faster-than-light travel (which cannot happen), nor even high-velocity travel. Note also that it does not apply to macroscopic objects like cars or UFOs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunneling

- Warren

superweirdo said:
If you are a science student danger, I am sure you know what is the meaning of "assume".
Now who's assuming? I haven't been a student in over 30 years. :tongue:

what you guys are telling me has nothing to do w/ speed, I guess my ears really were just banging. or wait, do you have to get those neutrinos at a certain speed to be able to cross the mountains?

You don't get neutrinos to a particular speed; they're already there. Up until a couple of decades ago, in fact, they were thought to be massless and thus traveling at light-speed. It turns out that they actually have a rest mass of a couple of eV, so their speed is slightly lower.

1. What is high-speed travel through walls?

High-speed travel through walls refers to the concept of being able to pass through physical barriers, such as walls, at incredibly fast speeds without any negative physical effects.

2. Is high-speed travel through walls possible?

At this time, high-speed travel through walls is not possible according to our current understanding of physics and technology. However, there are ongoing research and experiments in fields such as quantum mechanics and teleportation that may eventually lead to breakthroughs in this area.

3. What are the potential benefits of high-speed travel through walls?

The potential benefits of high-speed travel through walls include faster and more efficient transportation, as well as the ability to access previously unreachable locations. It could also have applications in fields such as emergency response and space exploration.

4. What are the limitations of high-speed travel through walls?

The limitations of high-speed travel through walls are currently unknown as the technology does not exist. However, it is possible that there may be ethical concerns and potential dangers associated with this type of technology, and it may also require a significant amount of energy.

5. How can we explore the myth of high-speed travel through walls?

Exploring the myth of high-speed travel through walls can involve conducting scientific experiments, researching and studying theories in fields such as quantum mechanics and spacetime, and collaborating with other scientists and experts in related fields. It is also important to remain open-minded and consider all possibilities while remaining grounded in scientific principles and evidence.