1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Going Back to School

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    Hey everyone, I'm 25 years old. I have 2 years of college under my belt (bio degree) from when I was 19-20. However, I didn't leave under very good terms, I joined the army and pretty much gave up on my last semester of classes, I believe most of my grades were D's that final semester. I'm really wanting to go back to school for physics/astronomy/astrophysics, however, I really need to relearn a lot of the math that I have forgotten. What is the best way to do this? Should I go buy a book like Algebra for Dummies and work through it as a refresher, or should I just retake a math course or two to relearn everything? Any inpute is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2012 #2

A university would like to see the math courses on your transcripts. Many people can go through books on their own and probably learn the material, but the school has no proof. By taking a courses and doing well in it, the school can see your academic qualification. If you are in the reserves or National Guard, apply to schools in NJ. I know with the NG, you will go to school in NJ for free if accepted (public institutions). The reserves I believe it is the same deal but not 100% sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook