1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good Calculus Based Physics Textbook

1. Feb 21, 2009 #1
    I looked around for a bit on the forums to try and see if my question had been asked/answered already, but didn't see it. So, I decided to register and ask.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good introductory Calculus based Physics textbook for self study. I have one semester of Calculus completed and am in my second semester of Algebra based Physics. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2009 #2
    I think "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker is the most commonly used intro physics with calculus book. I used it in my intro classes, and thought it was pretty good.

4. Feb 21, 2009 #3
    Halliday seems to be the most well-known book.

5. Feb 21, 2009 #4
    I'll look into that one. Thanks!

6. Feb 21, 2009 #5
    I don't know how "good" it is, but the one currently being used in my first semester calculus-based physics class is the Young and Freedman book entitled "University Physics."

Seems to be pretty decent so far. It has mostly good reviews on amazon.com for what it's worth.

7. Feb 21, 2009 #6
    I used an old edition of Halliday and Resnick for self-study. If you can pick up a used 1970's edition, that would be the best way to go.

8. Feb 22, 2009 #7
    That's what I have for some self-study... it's serving me well. I picked up the 11th ed (12's out now) for around $35.

9. Feb 27, 2009 #8
    I used University Physics by Young and Freedman during my general physics classes and highly recommend it. Excellent problem sets at the end of each chapter too. When I first used it though, I thought it was way too wordy, but now that I have matured in physics, I think that the book really explains the concepts well, and I attribute my good General Physics knowledge to that book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook