Good intermediate mechanics book

In summary, the conversation focused on the importance of being proactive in addressing climate change. The participants discussed various ways to reduce carbon emissions, including renewable energy sources and sustainable transportation. They also emphasized the need for government action and individual responsibility in tackling this global issue.
tronter
I do not like Thorton/Marion. Is Atam P. Arya's book "An Introduction to Classical Mechanics" good? Or "Classical Particles- Point Particles and Relativity" by W. Greiner good?

Physics news on Phys.org
actually, i didn't like thornton so much either. I only though chapter 7 was well written and clear. I instead read Arya's text and landau's.

Fowles, Analytical Mechanics. Prices of the newest edition are ridiculous, so I'd go for older editions (I have the 4th edition.)

1. What are the key topics covered in a good intermediate mechanics book?

A good intermediate mechanics book should cover topics such as Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, rotational motion, momentum, and simple harmonic motion.

2. What level of mathematics is required for an intermediate mechanics book?

An intermediate mechanics book typically requires a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. Some knowledge of calculus may also be helpful, but is not always necessary.

3. Are there any recommended intermediate mechanics books for self-study?

Yes, some popular options for self-study include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "Mechanics" by Keith R. Symon.

4. Can a beginner in physics understand an intermediate mechanics book?

It may be challenging for a beginner in physics to understand an intermediate mechanics book without a solid understanding of basic physics concepts and mathematical skills. It is recommended to first study introductory physics before delving into intermediate mechanics.

5. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can enhance the learning experience from an intermediate mechanics book?

Yes, there are many online resources such as lecture notes, practice problems, and video tutorials that can supplement the material covered in an intermediate mechanics book. Some popular websites for physics resources include Khan Academy, HyperPhysics, and MIT OpenCourseWare.