Good resources on effective suicide

• Thread starter 3trQN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resources
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person who is considering ending their own life and has narrowed down their method to four choices. The conversation includes pleas for the person to seek help and reconsider their decision, arguments against suicide, and suggestions for a life well-lived. Some individuals urge the mentors to close the thread, while others offer advice and share personal experiences. The person considering suicide defends their decision and acknowledges the impact it will have on others. The conversation ends with a discussion on what constitutes old age and when it is appropriate to consider ending one's life.

Poll edited

• deleted

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • deleted

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
3trQN
I am close to ending my own life, but i have yet to finalise the how and when. I have been considering it for some time, over 2 years, and have narrowed down my method to the following four choices.

Now i looked around, and not supprisingly there arnt many good resources on effective suicide, most of these techniques are not without the chance of failure which is what worries me most.

So based on the probabillity of success, style and enjoyment factor, vote for the the one you would recommend.

I am thinking 1 or 3, more favourable of 3.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not be so bloody stupid, even if you are joking it is not funny, only a coward ends his/her life this way, i would love to kick the crap out of you
for even thinking of such a pathetic way out.

3trQN, Please will go and talk to someone about this? I am very worried now. You really should share your thoughts with people, it will help! Suicide is an awful thing and I don't condone it under any circumstances, there is always another way out. As wolfram says, if this is intented as a joke it is NOT FUNNY.

To the mentors, I think this thread should be locked.

~H

Last edited:
There is only one way you should consider going - peacefully of old age. Live a long and worthwhile life you weren't put here to waste it all.

Mentors alerted in order to DELETE this thread.

I am not scared. I am of sound mind and judgement. I wouldn't joke about this.

Funny actually, wiki explanation of coward

Pleade vote...

You want to give a lifetime of misery to those you'll leave behind? :mad:

3trQN said:

Pleade vote...
well i urge the mentors (not) to close this thread, we have some one here that thinks he/she is sound in mind and judgement, well that is a laugh
(i am sane so i want to kill myself) you great plonker ,would the world change i doubt it, would anyone care, for sure they would, me for one
so get of your soap box and start living life, it (is) the only one you have.

3trQN said:

Pleade vote...

Well if your of sound mind, why not go talk to your doctor about it? What, at this point, would you have to loose?

Sound mind, not a coward but why so selfish and ungratefull that you would inflict this on those around you? Take the time to look around its a wonderful world, have a look at the pictures submitted to the forum competition.

I personally don't think you should do it.

I think old age is the best way to leave the world, and be able to look back on what one has achieved. :approve: :smile: :cool:

Rather than ending your life now, go and do something good first, and do another good thing, and keep at it for the next several decades.

Go and enjoy the sun. :smile: That usually helps get one out of depression.

In fact, go a visit a dying patient in hospice, and see what life is about.

Sound mind, not a coward but why so selfish and ungratefull that you would inflict this on those around you?

True, It is unfortunate that those close to me will be upset by my death, i will be taking steps to reduce any burden and lessen the impact as much as i can.

I think old age is the best way to leave the world, and be able to look back on what one has achieved.

What age is old age? When is old enough to die? when you can't speak or eat, barley walk or go to the bathroom? When you can no longer work to earn a living?

I've seen pleanty of old age, and its not somthing I am willing to endure.

Rather than ending your life now, go and do something good first, and do another good thing, and keep at it for the next several decades.

My death will be the best thing I've ever done, I don't feel guilt over my right to choose not to live.

Well if your of sound mind, why not go talk to your doctor about it? What, at this point, would you have to loose?

Quite possibly my freedom to take my own life is what i have to loose, but your comment is the least bias and most rational of them all.

What age is old age? When is old enough to die? when you can't speak or eat, barley walk or go to the bathroom? When you can no longer work to earn a living?
That maybe the time to consider ending one's life, but I don't think you're there yet.

My grandfather lived to 103 yrs and 6 months. He was active until the last 6 months. He served people in his community.

On the other hand, my youngest brother died at the age of 34 from leukemia. Even when he was hurting, he wanted to live for his son who was 3 years old. My brother had just started his medical practice as an OB/Gyn and obstetrical surgeon, and apparently he was very good according to his peers and senior doctors.

Where there is life, there is hope. :smile:

Life is a journey, and at times it is a challege, and occasionally the challenges might seem insurmountable. But it is not yet time to quit.

3trQN said:
True, It is unfortunate that those close to me will be upset by my death, i will be taking steps to reduce any burden and lessen the impact as much as i can.

I've seen pleanty of old age, and its not somthing I am willing to endure.

My death will be the best thing I've ever done, I don't feel guilt over my right to choose not to live.

Quite possibly my freedom to take my own life is what i have to loose, but your comment is the least bias and most rational of them all.

oh i gess you have suffered so much pain in life, but did you know that
most people that do them selfs in crap their pants, and coroners are not
very gentle with your remains.

3trQN, have you read "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"?

3trQN, please contact a local support center and talk about your plans and why you have reached this point. Let them help you. Two years is a long time to have such feelings, and they might be able to help you find ways to make changes so you can get past those feelings and still be alive and have a bright future.

Here is one resource you can try:
http://www.samaritans.org.uk/talk/local_branch.shtm

Find your local branch and give them a call...please.

3trQN, have you read "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"?

No, I havent, but I've seen the original film.

I don't know whether I've ever been in your shoes or not 3trQN because at the few stages of my life where I have been really down and thought about such things as this...the three things that made me tell myself to stop being such a di*khead are
a) the fact that I don't want to stop existing! Don't know what religion if any you subscribe to but I really think that being alive > not being alive
b) I would be causing a lot more hurt to everyone else...the action would ensure that their opinions of me would be greatly reduced...yeah yeah... you can say what do I care if I'm dead etc.. but it's still an awful thing to do to people.
c) What would I have had to gain?...absolutely nothing!...what do I have to lose?...everything

One more thing...when I was depressed *absolutely no-one* knew about it let alone proclaiming it to the world that I'm going to top myself...and what should be the best way to snuff it!...you need to get this thing..whatever it is, sorted (without killing yourself).

Yet another thing...whats going to be the last thing that's going to go through your mind as you're jumping off a great height with a video feed (or your other choices)..."yeah man, check this out... people are going to think I'm awesome" or "sh*t...this was a bad idea...I don't want to do this no more"

Last edited:
3trQN said:

I have not seen a decent film in ages what is your favorite ?

3trQN said:
The book is way better.

Meanwhile, I would recommend following Moonbear's advice.

I just want to note that I have closed the poll and removed the votes from it. I can't figure out a way to remove it entirely without deleting the thread.

3trQN, we care enough that we will not help you pick a method of suicide. We will keep the thread open for you without the poll. Can you tell us more about why you feel the way you do?

3trQN: you have not told us _why_ you plan to do this.

3trQN, before you do anything else, please take a couple of minutes of your time to read this page.

wolram said:
Do not be so bloody stupid, even if you are joking it is not funny, only a coward ends his/her life this way, i would love to kick the crap out of you
And this is the stupidest reply you can have towards a suicidal person.

dav2008 said:
And this is the stupidest reply you can have towards a suicidal person.
You'll have to forgive Woolie. I think he was recovering from a painful situation, having put capsaicin on his bits. No man could think straight under such circumstances. :uhh:

3trQN - since you brought all of us into this, please tell us why you feel so bummed out that suicide is the only recourse.

By the way, Fusion is a 'hot' topic.

And Gravity is a weighty subject.

Last edited:
3trQN said:
I am close to ending my own life, but i have yet to finalise the how and when. I have been considering it for some time, over 2 years, and have narrowed down my method to the following four choices.

Now i looked around, and not supprisingly there arnt many good resources on effective suicide, most of these techniques are not without the chance of failure which is what worries me most.

So based on the probabillity of success, style and enjoyment factor, vote for the the one you would recommend.

I am thinking 1 or 3, more favourable of 3.
I, myself, thought a lot about suicide, but I stopped when I realized that it's bad. You don't achieve anything by a suicide but show that you're a loser and a duck. If there are some people that lead you to feelings like that, F*** them. They're not worth a place in your feelings. Show them that you're better than they think and man do something, try to do something for other people, help others, and learn, (if you come to the conclusion that you know everything, and answered all the mysterious questions of physics, then be free to suicide yourself [this's an irony, don't really do that (suicide)])
Think of it this way, life is only one. You've received only one chance. You've received only one chance of gorgeus life and it's you who tries to smash everything. Make your life a pleasure, there so many things, to do, experience, learn, you got to understand that life is amazing, even something I didn't give a thought before, til a few weeks ago, air tastes good. Go the the park, see the nature, see the birds, ducks, feed them and right away you'll see how pleasant it is. You know what I mean, think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either go and see a counsellor, talk to some family or the Samaritans or someone, or just go for a nice walk in the countryside.

Open your eyes to how beautiful the world is, irrespective of whatever pain is going on with you. Look up at the stars and realize how insignificant you are; whatever problems you're having are minute compared to the enormousness of the universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
3trQN, and others, we can't allow this forum to be the means for self-destructive behavior for anyone, but we welcome any opportunity to help and assist in getting support.

We haven't heard from you in a while, 3trQN. What's going on? What sort of help or support do you need? How can we help? If you do not wish to post your story here on the board, you can contact me via Private Message.

If you do not wish to contact someone in the UK for fear of the authorities or because you do not wish to discuss your problem with someone from your local community, (note, the organization I provided a link to earlier provides a confidential hotline), there is also a number in the US you can call. 1-800-SUICIDE is anonymous confidential network available 24 h a day in US if you don't want to talk to someone locally.

If any of our other members shares our concerns for 3trQN, or anyone else you know, you can also call that number to discuss your own concerns.

I am very very concerned now, 3trQN please seek help and please let us know that your ok.

Just on a side note, I would recommed reading Lance Armstrong's autobio, the way he shares his feelings, fears and desires and his whole mentatly is truly inspiring.

~H

Last edited:
I would recommend you first tell us that you're ok and then go and read Lance Armstrong's autobio. :approve: I would also like to know that you're ok, 3trQN.

3trQN don't be an *******. I had a family member do this, and it was aweful. It still is aweful. I was f'd up for at least a year. My mom was screwed up for a really long time. In many ways I am still screwed up. I'm changed forever... and I have/had no choice.

You have NO IDEA what this will do to everyone around you. I don't care if you think you are by yourself... I can guarantee you that you that someone relies on you more then you know. The thing is... nobody is going to be able to talk you out of whatever you want to do. It is ultimately your decision. Just like you could make the decision to kill someone. But the decision you make will directly affect those around you. And this isn't a decision like... you've decided to get a new car, or a new job, or tutor little kids. This decision is FOREVER lasting. And not just for you... but for a lot of people. They have no choice. And I strongly urge you to change your mind. If not for yourself. At least for the other people.

But screw you dude. I was having an awesome day. I just had my last final. So I log onto physicsforum and check new posts, and IMMEDIATLY my eye goes to "suicide". That's how much that **** is on my mind. Forever when someone jokes about killing themselves I take a step back. Forever when someone puts a fake gun to their had I tense up.

In seventh grade, I was really depressed. I cried, literally, every day. I imagined what would happen if I went through with "it" but, no matter what, it was never an option. It seemed easy enough but I always came back to "Screw that, I'm too good to lose." I figured, why let whatever was beating me down take me out?

As for you being of "sound mind", that's illogical and impossible. Those who are of sound mind don't seriously narrow down "suicide options" and then ask for someone else to pick which is the "best" online. To be of sound mind, you have to want to survive-- it's a natural instinct. Those who are truly suicidal no longer have that will to survive thus them being able to do what others can't-- take their own life. Being suicidal signifies a serious chemical imbalance that needs treatment.

I don't think he really is going to do it. He made a poll about how he should kill himself it sounds like a way he want help with somthing.

wolram said:

:biggrin: Yes, that oughta help. So 3trQN, what makes you so special, life isn't pretty for any of us. By the way, how old are you (or rather, teen, middleage etc.)?

3trQN, after much deliberation, we are going to lock this thread as there doesn't appear to be much new helpful information being posted. We still want to help you if you will accept our offer of help. Please contact me, or any member of our staff if you'd prefer talking to them, via private message if you wish to continue the discussion.

1. What are some reliable sources for information on effective suicide prevention?

Some reliable sources for information on effective suicide prevention include the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and the Suicide Prevention Resource Center.

2. Are there any online resources specifically geared towards helping individuals struggling with suicidal thoughts?

Yes, there are several online resources specifically geared towards helping individuals struggling with suicidal thoughts. These include websites such as Suicide.org and the Crisis Text Line.

3. How can I educate myself on the warning signs of suicide and how to intervene?

One way to educate yourself on the warning signs of suicide and how to intervene is by taking a training course, such as QPR (Question, Persuade, Refer) or ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training). These courses provide valuable information and skills on how to recognize and respond to someone who may be at risk for suicide.

4. Are there any books or articles that provide evidence-based strategies for preventing suicide?

Yes, there are many books and articles that provide evidence-based strategies for preventing suicide. Some recommended reads include "The Suicidal Mind" by Edwin Shneidman and "Assessing and Managing Suicide Risk: Guidelines for Clinically-Based Risk Management" by David A. Jobes.

5. How can I find local resources for suicide prevention in my community?

You can find local resources for suicide prevention in your community by contacting your local mental health center or reaching out to organizations like the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention or the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). You can also search online for support groups or events in your area that focus on suicide prevention.