1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Good self study books for physics of quantum computing

1. Dec 18, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm an undergraduate double majoring in physics and math. I have one year left after this one, then I plan to go to grad school for theoretical physics (not sure what field yet).
    My professor keeps suggesting the physics side of quantum computing as a good career route and I'm just wondering what some good textbooks are for an introduction to quantum computing for physicists. There are many books out there but they mostly focus on the computer science. I'm told the field is large enough that physicists are hired just to study the physics, and not the CS, and I'd like to just study these aspects.
    I greatly appreciate any responses!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2015 #2
    I believe what you're looking at is the field of quantum information. The "classic" introductory textbook for this is the aptly named Quantum Computation and Information by Nielsen and Chuang.

4. Mar 27, 2016 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

Yes, I used also this book of Nielsen and Chuang, I think it is the best for starting ...

5. May 3, 2016 #4
    Nielsen and Chuang has the relevant chapter 7 on physical implementations. But it came out in 2000 so it necessarily missed a number of important developments like the KLM linear optical scheme or measurement-based scheme for quantum computing. There is a newer https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Optical-Quantum-Information-Processing/dp/0521519144 by Kok and Lovett that contains these topics.

Currently there is also a cross fertilization between quantum information/computing and many-body physics but I'm not aware of a good textbook on the subject. (I'm not too crazy about Quantum Information Meets Quantum Matter but someone else might like it.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted