Good self-teaching book for elementary and advanced number theory?

• Thread starter RossH
  • Start date
Hello. I am looking for learning materials for the field of number theory. I took a class this semester in number theory and the topic fascinated me, but I don't feel like I learned that much. I am a mathematics minor so I have a very strong background in basic math, abstract/linear algebra, and calculus, but in number theory I don't get much beyond Diophantine equations. So, do you have any book recommendations? My only requirements are that the books are inexpensive (so no current textbooks) and that the answers to at least some of the questions are in the book. I don't want to have to Google for answers to every question in any chapter. Thanks for the help!

Answers and Replies

Gib Z
Homework Helper
Try to find "Introduction to the theory of Numbers" by Hardy and Wright in a university library. It's not cheap but it is the classic in the field and most universities have at least one, if not several, copies of that on shelf.

Petek
Gold Member
Hardy and Wright is a classic and would be a good choice as a second text in number theory. The most recent edition (sixth) is available on https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199219869/?tag=pfamazon01-20&tag=pfamazon01-20. You could download one or more of these to get exercises. I don't know right offhand whether any of these books have solutions, though. You could post your solutions on this forum to see if they are correct.

If you buy Hardy and Wright, you may wish to look at http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/groups/number-theory/errata-hardy-and-wright, which has a list of misprints with corrections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Send me your email and I will send you my book for free!