Good software for programming animated physical simulations?

In summary, the person is looking for a tool that can simulate and animate various physical phenomena, such as a double-pendulum or a system of particles in an external field. They are unsure where to start, but are considering using MatLab. They are also seeking input on other programming languages or environments that may be better suited for their needs. They mention wanting the tool to be able to handle complex simulations and animations, and mention Autodesk 3ds Max and Adobe Flash as potential options. They also suggest that CUDA may be a good tool for this purpose.
gomboc
I'm looking for what might be best for simulating various physical phenomena - some examples off the top of my head might be how to create an animation of a double-pendulum, or a system of 250 particles that are mutually interacting, confined within some box, in an arbitrary external field (like if I wanted to simulate some plasma particle drifts), or trying to use many, many more particles to simulate a collision of two galaxies.

That sort of thing. I'm not sure exactly where to start. My first instinct is to start writing some sort of engine up in MatLab, since it's what I know, but I'm sure there are languages or programming environments better suited to my purposes, and probably more versatile. Basically, I want something that can simulate AND animate the progression of some physical system through time, whose complexity is limited only by processor power and my programming ability.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! A good example of the most complicated sort of thing I'd ever want to try doing with it is here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Something like http://usa.autodesk.com/3ds-max/ will be professional grade, but VERY expensive.

Many very impressive animations can be done with Adobe Flash too. If you are a student it can be very affordable. http://www.academicsuperstore.com/products/Adobe/Flash?uumc=550517&utm_source=search&utm_medium=paidsearch&sissr=1

Last edited:
This sounds like a good use for CUDA.

1. What are the important factors to consider when choosing software for programming animated physical simulations?

The most important factors to consider are the software's capabilities for creating realistic and accurate simulations, its ease of use and learning curve, its compatibility with other tools and platforms, and its cost.

2. Can you recommend any specific software for beginners in the field of programming animated physical simulations?

Some popular options for beginners include Unity, Unreal Engine, and Blender. These programs have user-friendly interfaces and a wide range of tutorials and resources available for learning.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in computer science or coding to use software for programming animated physical simulations?

While having a background in computer science can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many software programs have intuitive interfaces and offer visual programming options that make it possible for non-coders to create simulations.

4. Are there any open-source or free software options for programming animated physical simulations?

Yes, there are several open-source or free software options available, such as Blender, Processing, and V-REP. These programs offer a wide range of features and tools for creating simulations without the cost of purchasing a license.

5. Can software for programming animated physical simulations be used for educational purposes?

Absolutely. Many software programs offer educational licenses or even have specialized versions specifically for educational use. These tools can be used to teach students about physics, engineering, and programming in a hands-on and engaging way.