Questioning the Inclusion of Time in the E=mc2 Equation

• Thread starter my80chevette
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time as a measurement and whether it can be considered a physical property. The individual expresses difficulty in understanding how time is included in the E=mc2 equation and questions the theory behind it. The others in the conversation explain that time is a fundamental aspect of physics and is tied to space, and that it is used as a counter to measure change. The conversation also touches on the idea of converting mass into energy and how it relates to the equation.
my80chevette
I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack so please bear with me. I have a problem with the whole E=mc2 equation. The fact that time is included with the measurement is beyond me. Time is a measurement itself so how can it be considered a physical property? Time is a measurement of a cycle or distance, but since our minds are capable of remembering the past, sensing the present and predicting(not like a psychic) the future we seem to be stuck referring to it as if it where a physical thing. I guess what I'm saying is I really don't understand how the frizzy haired guy came up with it? Besides, the whole one clock showing a different time than another when in motion would seem to be physical property of the increase in mass as it approaches the speed of light not time dialation.What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Time is a measurement itself so how can it be considered a physical property?

To physics something that is measurable IS a physical property, I am not sure what you mean.

this is a very common thread topic, look thorough this forum and Theoretical Physics. You will find a lot of info concering your questions.

Okay...

I guess I wasn't very clear on what I said. Time is a measurement of a cycle(life, planitary rotation, whatever)so it isn't a phsyical property. It seems to be a little difficult to get your brain around it but after a lot of thought I still come back to the idea that time is just that, a idea or concept. It is used to allow people to differentiate between what they have done, are doing and what they plan to do. Do I seem to make any sense? I guess it's like my theroy that nothing is what it is until it becomes what it is. Weird thinking hunh?!:smile:

Originally posted by my80chevette
I guess I wasn't very clear on what I said. Time is a measurement of a cycle(life, planitary rotation, whatever)so it isn't a phsyical property. It seems to be a little difficult to get your brain around it but after a lot of thought I still come back to the idea that time is just that, a idea or concept. It is used to allow people to differentiate between what they have done, are doing and what they plan to do. Do I seem to make any sense? I guess it's like my theroy that nothing is what it is until it becomes what it is. Weird thinking hunh?!:smile:

Time, in Physics, is like a counter. It is one of the things that must change when an object moves from point A to point B. Einstein tied time and space together, showing that they are different manifestaions of the same thing. We call it space-time.

Generally speaking if something changes time has passed. For any given problem we are free to specify any point in time as zero. That is, we start our time counter at our convience, generally for computational ease.

I have a problem with the whole E=mc2 equation. The fact that time is included with the measurement is beyond me.
Naw, not true- not for that specific equation. E is just the total internal energy of anything regardless of time. m is really dependant on the velocity of m-naught (the mass at zero velocity - rest mass, the mass you weight on a scale), c is constant. so if you have 1 kilogram of stuff and turn it into energy, for example, by combining it with anti-particles, you receive 9x1016 Joules of energy (1 kg)*(3x108)2)=9x1016

1. What is the significance of including time in the E=mc2 equation?

The inclusion of time in the E=mc2 equation is significant because it highlights the relationship between energy, mass, and time. It shows that time is a crucial factor in understanding the concept of energy and mass.

2. How does the inclusion of time change the interpretation of the E=mc2 equation?

The inclusion of time does not change the interpretation of the E=mc2 equation, but rather enhances it. It provides a more comprehensive understanding of the relationship between energy, mass, and time.

3. Why was time not initially included in the E=mc2 equation?

Albert Einstein's original formulation of the equation did not include time because it was not necessary for his theory of special relativity. However, his later work on general relativity showed the importance of including time in the equation.

4. How does the inclusion of time affect the mathematical representation of the E=mc2 equation?

The inclusion of time adds an extra dimension to the mathematical representation of the E=mc2 equation. It requires a more complex mathematical approach, but ultimately provides a more accurate representation of the relationship between energy, mass, and time.

5. What are some potential implications of questioning the inclusion of time in the E=mc2 equation?

Potential implications could include further advancements in our understanding of the nature of energy and mass, as well as potential revisions or refinements to the equation itself. It could also lead to new theories and discoveries in the field of physics.