GPA & Transfer Help: Graduating HS in 2007 and Going to SDSU

• Thread starter MetalManuel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpa
In summary, the individual had a rocky start in college, failing most of their classes at SDSU. After taking some time off, they are now back in school at a community college, excelling with straight A's. They are aiming to transfer to UCSD or UC Berkeley, but are concerned about their past grades affecting their chances. They are wondering if they are calculating their GPA correctly and if retaking failed classes will make a difference. The expert advises them to contact the schools directly for their transfer policies.
MetalManuel
Graduated HS in 07 and got into SDSU.
Went there for 2 semesters and took 29 units, all of which i failed except for 1, i got a D. 9 ( I was immature and didn't care about school, nor did I know why I was truly attending college).

Now 3 years later I REALLY REALLy regret it because I actuallly want to succeed now. So now I'm enrolled in 18 units at a ccc and getting straight A's and plan on keeping that until I transfer. Seriously school is really easy.

The max units I can transfer is 90 for UCSD, which is the school I want to transfer to. I want to transfer to UC berkeley, but i know i have no chance anymore because of my past. UCSD has TAG so i have a chance for that, only IF I get straight A's from now on, If I'm correct.

What I am wondering is if I am doing my calculations correct. Basically, I am doing 4*90/(29+90)=3.025 GPA maximum

Also is there any point in retaking the classes I took at SDSU or will my GPA still be averaged out the same with other classes as the retakes? My counselor was telling me that I should retake the classes I failed, but I don't see the point if it's not the classes that affect my gpa but the points per unit.

I'm going to contact SDSU as well see if they can help me out or something. I F'ed up bad.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is yes, you are correct in your calculations. The GPA calculation for transfer typically looks at the total number of units attempted and the total number of units completed, and then averages the grades across those two numbers. So in your case, if you have 90 units of A's and 29 units of F's, your GPA would be calculated as (90 x 4) / (90 + 29) = 3.025. In terms of retaking the classes that you failed at SDSU, it may be beneficial depending on what type of transfer admissions requirements your school has. Generally retaking classes may help improve your GPA, although this may not always be the case. If you do decide to retake classes, make sure that you are doing so in a way that will be accepted by the school you want to transfer to. Some schools may only accept transfer credits from certain institutions or may not accept certain types of classes. It's best to contact the school directly to find out their policies. Good luck!

Related to GPA & Transfer Help: Graduating HS in 2007 and Going to SDSU

1. What is GPA and why is it important for transferring to SDSU?

GPA stands for Grade Point Average and it is a numerical representation of a student's academic performance. It is calculated by averaging the grades a student receives in their courses. A high GPA is important for transferring to SDSU because it reflects a student's academic ability and can impact their chances of being accepted into the university.

2. Is it necessary to have a high GPA to transfer to SDSU?

While a high GPA can increase your chances of being accepted, it is not the only factor considered in the transfer admission process. SDSU also looks at other factors such as the courses taken, extracurricular activities, and personal statements. However, having a strong GPA can demonstrate your academic readiness for the university.

3. Can I transfer to SDSU if my GPA is below a certain threshold?

Yes, SDSU does not have a minimum GPA requirement for transfer students. However, a higher GPA can make you a more competitive applicant. It is important to also focus on other aspects of your application such as letters of recommendation and personal statements.

4. Will my GPA from high school affect my transfer GPA to SDSU?

Yes, your high school GPA will be considered along with your college GPA when applying to transfer to SDSU. However, your college GPA will hold more weight as it reflects your most recent academic performance.

5. How can I improve my GPA before transferring to SDSU?

There are several ways to improve your GPA before transferring to SDSU. Some tips include seeking help from tutors or professors, staying organized, and actively participating in class. It is also important to prioritize your coursework and seek assistance if you are struggling in any areas. Additionally, you can retake courses to improve your grades and overall GPA.