Solving A2/15 B2/23 (Part ii) on Page 50 Cambridge Maths

In summary, the student is trying to solve the cubic equation for r but is having trouble understanding where to start. The solution they found was one of the solutions to the equation. They need to answer questions about why they set dr/d\lambda equal to zero and what the GR significance of the solution is. They should also worry about the other two roots to the equation.
Tangent87
Hi, I am doing question A2/15 B2/23 (specifically part (ii)) at the top of page 50 here:

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/pastpapers/2001/Part_2/list_II.pdf

I have done everything up to and including showing the impact parameter is given by b=h/E, but I am having trouble doing parts (a), (b), (c). To be honest I don't even know where to start, it says to consider equation (*) and so far all I've been able to show is that if [tex]\frac{dr}{d\lambda}=0[/tex] then we have the cubic equation for r: [tex]r^3-b^2r+2Mb^2=0[/tex]. But looking at the three separate cases in parts a,b, and c I'm guessing we want some kind of quadratic where the discriminant is [tex]b^2-27M[/tex]?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fzero said:
It sounds like they want you to know Cardano's method http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_function#Cardano.27s_method There is a discriminant for roots of the cubic.

You may well be right, as using Cardano's method we get this as one of the solutions to the cubic:

[tex]r=(Mb^2)^{1/3}\left[\left(-1+\sqrt{1-\frac{b^2}{27M^2}}\right)^{1/3}+\left(-1-\sqrt{1-\frac{b^2}{27M^2}}\right)^{1/3}\right][/tex]

So now we can kind of see where the conditions on b2 and M2 are going to come from. But I'm not sure what we've done physically, i.e.

Why do we set [tex]dr/d\lambda[/tex] equal to zero?
What is the GR significance of the solution r we found above?
Do we have to worry about the other two roots to the equation?

I think we need to answer these questions first before we do anything else.

I'm not sure how much use this is but could you not use a particle in a potential approach.

You have the equation [itex]( \frac{dr}{ d\tau} )^2 + V(r) = E^2[/itex]

You can show that the potential has a maximum at [itex]r=3M[/itex] with [itex]V(r=3M)=\frac{h^2}{27M^2}[/itex]

Now the particle has energy [itex]E[/itex] and we know from the definition of impact parameter that [itex]b= | \frac{h}{E} |[/itex] so [itex]E^2=\frac{h^2}{b^2}[/itex]

So if the particle has energy greater than the potential then it has enough energy to reach [itex]r=2M[/itex] and be swallowed by the black hole. This means

[itex]E^2 > V(r) \Rightarrow \frac{h^2}{b^2} > \frac{h^2}{27M^2} \Rightarrow b^2 < 27 M^2[/itex]

That would answer part b) I think. You can then do something similar for a).

As for c), I would GUESS (but am far from sure) that it would be some sort of orbit around the black hole. Since if b>27M^2 it's reflected and if b<27M^2 it's swallowed so if b=27M^2 wouldn't it make sense for there to be a balance between attraction and repulsion?

Tangent87 said:
You may well be right, as using Cardano's method we get this as one of the solutions to the cubic:

[tex]r=(Mb^2)^{1/3}\left[\left(-1+\sqrt{1-\frac{b^2}{27M^2}}\right)^{1/3}+\left(-1-\sqrt{1-\frac{b^2}{27M^2}}\right)^{1/3}\right][/tex]

So now we can kind of see where the conditions on b2 and M2 are going to come from. But I'm not sure what we've done physically, i.e.

Why do we set [tex]dr/d\lambda[/tex] equal to zero?
What is the GR significance of the solution r we found above?
Do we have to worry about the other two roots to the equation?

I think we need to answer these questions first before we do anything else.

[tex]dr/d\lambda[/tex] tells us whether the photon is moving towards or away from the BH. For the photon approaching from infinity, [tex]dr/d\lambda<0[/tex] for large initial [tex]r[/tex] (so we would take the negative root of (*) for consistency). Now if [tex]dr/d\lambda \neq 0[/tex] for any positive [tex]r[/tex], then the photon will continue traveling to [tex]r=0[/tex]. If there is a root, then the sign of [tex]dr/d\lambda[/tex] changes and the photon is moving away from the BH. I suppose we need to compare with [tex]r_s=2M[/tex] to see that if the root is physical.

You will need to consider all roots on principle to determine if there is a physical root corresponding to deflection. You should find that for [tex]b^2=27M^2[/tex] there are two degenerate real roots, so [tex]dr/d\lambda[/tex] will not change sign.

Thank you all, although I quite like latentcorpse's approach as we then don't need to solve a cubic.

1. What is the purpose of solving A2/15 B2/23 (Part ii) on Page 50 of Cambridge Maths?

The purpose of solving this equation is to practice applying mathematical concepts and techniques, and to develop problem-solving skills in the context of Cambridge Maths.

2. How do I approach solving this equation?

First, make sure you understand the notation and symbols used in the equation. Then, break down the equation into smaller, simpler steps. Use the concepts and techniques you have learned to solve each step, and then combine them to find the final solution.

3. What concepts and techniques are necessary to solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you will need to have a strong understanding of basic algebra, as well as knowledge of fractions, exponents, and order of operations. It may also be helpful to have knowledge of graphing and solving equations with multiple variables.

4. What if I get stuck while solving this equation?

If you get stuck, take a step back and review the concepts and techniques involved in the equation. You can also try breaking down the equation further or seeking help from a teacher or tutor. Remember, solving equations takes practice and patience.

5. How can I check if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also use a calculator or online tool to verify your answer. If your solution is incorrect, try to identify where you made a mistake and correct it.