Classical Dynamics 2/II/15B 2008

In summary, the speaker is working on a question in Classical Dynamics and is unsure about using Hamilton's equations to show circular motion. They have shown the expression for the angular frequency but are unsure how to proceed since the differential equation is not in SHM form. They mention that two SHM systems acting perpendicular to each other produce circular motion, but in this case, the radius also depends on x_1 and x_2. They then provide an equation showing that the left-hand side of the equation is equal to the right-hand side, which only depends on r. They conclude that the angular frequency is equal to -r times the derivative of the radius with respect to r.
Tangent87
Hi, I'm doing this Classical Dynamics section II question which can be found here (http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/pastpapers/2008/Part_2/list_II.pdf ) on page 27.

I have done most of the question but am unsure about the last part. Specifically using Hamilton's equations to show there's circular motion of radius r with the angular frequency given. I am basically just unsure of what you actually have to show, I mean they've already told us that [tex]r^2=x_1^2+x_2^2[/tex] so what actually constitutes circular motion? I can show from Hamilton's equations that

[tex]\stackrel{..}{x_i}=(p_3-\frac{eF}{c})\frac{e}{m^{2}cr}\frac{dF}{dr}x_i[/tex]

for i=1,2 getting someway towards the expression for the angular frequency but don't really know where to go from here seeing as r depends on BOTH [tex]x_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2[/tex] so that differential equation isn't of SHM form!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still stuck on this, I know that two SHM systems acting perpendicular to each other produce circular motion but that's not what we have in this case (or is it?) since the r depends on the x_i!

We have

[tex]
x_i''=-\Omega^2(r) \; x_i
[/tex]

Making a square and adding

[tex]
x_1''^2+x_2''^2=\Omega^4(r) \; (x^2_1+x^2_2)=\Omega^4(r) \; r^2.
[/tex]

RHS depends only on r, it follows and LHS too

[tex]
a^2(r)=\Omega^4(r) \; r^2.
[/tex]

And we get

[tex]
a(r)=-\Omega^2(r) \; r.
[/tex]

I see what you've done, thanks.

Hi there! First of all, it's great that you have already made progress on this question and have a good understanding of Hamilton's equations. Let's take a closer look at the problem and see if we can clarify the concept of circular motion in this context.

In classical dynamics, circular motion is defined as motion in a circular path at a constant speed. In this question, we are dealing with a charged particle moving in a circular path under the influence of an electric field. This means that the particle is experiencing a force that is always perpendicular to its velocity, causing it to move in a circular path.

Now, let's look at the expression you have derived using Hamilton's equations:

\stackrel{..}{x_i}=(p_3-\frac{eF}{c})\frac{e}{m^{2}cr}\frac{dF}{dr}x_i

This equation describes the acceleration of the particle in terms of its position and momentum. In order to show that there is circular motion, we need to show that the acceleration is always perpendicular to the velocity, which is a characteristic of circular motion.

To do this, we can rewrite the equation in terms of the radial position and momentum, denoted by r and p_r respectively. This can be done by using the relation r^2=x_1^2+x_2^2, as given in the question. Once we have the equation in terms of r and p_r, we can use the definition of circular motion to show that the acceleration is always perpendicular to the velocity.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of circular motion in this context and gives you a starting point for solving the problem. Good luck!

Related to Classical Dynamics 2/II/15B 2008

1. What is Classical Dynamics 2/II/15B 2008?

Classical Dynamics 2/II/15B 2008 is a course in classical mechanics, a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is typically taken by physics or engineering students in their second or third year of undergraduate studies.

2. What topics are covered in Classical Dynamics 2/II/15B 2008?

The course typically covers topics such as Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, momentum, rotational motion, and oscillations. It may also touch on topics such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, as well as special relativity.

3. What is the difference between Classical Dynamics 2/II/15B and Classical Dynamics 1/I/15A?

Classical Dynamics 1/I/15A is typically an introductory course in classical mechanics, covering basic concepts and principles. Classical Dynamics 2/II/15B, on the other hand, is a more advanced course that delves deeper into the mathematical foundations and applications of classical mechanics.

4. What are the prerequisites for taking Classical Dynamics 2/II/15B 2008?

The prerequisites for this course may vary depending on the institution, but typically it requires a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and introductory physics. Some institutions may also require students to have taken Classical Dynamics 1/I/15A before enrolling in this course.

5. What career paths can Classical Dynamics 2/II/15B 2008 lead to?

This course is often taken by students pursuing degrees in physics or engineering, and it can be useful for careers in research, academia, or industry. It provides a solid foundation in fundamental principles of motion and can be applied to a wide range of fields such as aerospace engineering, robotics, and materials science.