Grad School Acceptance: Concerns Over Math Deficiency for String Theory

In summary: But it's something.In summary, George is planning to go to grad school this upcoming year and is worried that his lack of math courses may prevent him from pursing a certain research field. He is unsure if this is a valid concern or not, but he is willing to take the necessary steps to rectify the situation.
GeorgeThe4th
Hello everyone. I am an undergraduate senior anticipating degrees in both physics and astrophysics this spring. Until about a year ago I wasn't particularly sure what I wanted to do after graduation. However, after taking upper division QM and particle physics courses I've developed a great interest in pursuing high energy theory.

So for this admissions season I sent out 13 applications to various top 40 physics graduate schools. I stated HET and particularly string theory as my research interests. Just a few days ago I received my first acceptance, and so naturally I am quite happy and relieved.

However, I do have one big concern. In the process of getting my double major I never had any scheduling room to take math courses beyond the standard requirement. That is, I took the Calc 1-4 sequence and one additional course in "foundations", which was basically a course on proofs. It has been over two years since then, and I am concerned that my deficiency in higher level math courses could make it challenging for me to pursue string theory. I am aware that real/complex analysis, group theory, topology, differential geometry, and many advanced topics are important to string theory.

My fear is that I may be shoved into some other research area or not be able to join my desired research group due to this deficiency in the aforementioned topics.

Is this a valid concern, or is it normal for theory graduate students to need additional coursework in those topics after arrival? To my understanding, new physics grad students are kept busy with all the advanced courses related directly to the major. Would there be much room (or would it even be possible) to cram a few math courses in there? Or, is the required depth in those topics not enough to justify taking entire courses on them? I.e, do most students just cover them through self study?

In any case, there are basically three options I have:
1) Decline all my offers and go into a 5th year as an undergrad and take several relevant math courses.
2) Accept one of the offers and just hope it doesn't matter.
3) Accept, but ask for a 1-year deferral and take courses in the mean time.

I am really hoping that it will be ok for me to just accept an offer and that my fears are poorly based. If anyone has had a similar experience or has a suggestion for what I should do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
As someone who is in a not too dissimilar situation, I'd say let the admissions committees decide for you. Presumably, with 13 places applied to you will get into at least one. Since you (again, presumably) stated in your applications you wanted to do Hep-th/strings, that means that when they admit you they're essentially saying you're qualified enough (or that any gaps can be filled easily enough).

Besides this, go talk to your academic advisor, or professors who you want to work with at whichever graduate schools you end up getting accepted to. These are the people most qualified to tell you what preparation is necessary (I can't think of anyone off the top of my head here at the forums who is actively involved with, or has a research level understanding of string theory).

I visited a school in Kentucky and spoke with a string theorist. When I asked him a similar question about math, he told me that it was much more important to have solid foundations in the basics of physics, particularly classical mechanics (mainly formalisms), statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and of course e&m (though I got the impression the first three were most important, but they all are). When I specifically asked about things like differential geometry or topology, I still got the impression that it wasn't too important.

There are different types of work being done in string theory, just as in any other field. Besides, the worst that can happen is that you need to take a little more time, but that would happen regardless of whether you started now or later, and it would be beneficial to learn in the academic environment.

Just some thoughts.

None of the above. Go to grad school. When you get there, meet with whomever is in charge of entering grad students, explain your situation and then do what he says. That may mean more classes, that may mean a different schedule, it may mean business as usual.

If you got accepted, then your background is fine.
They would never accept someone who wasn't good enough.
Get stuck in and have fun! :D

Thanks for the replies everyone, you all bring up great points. When I visit a couple grad schools next month I'll talk to the HET professors about this. I think I've pretty much ruled out the option of staying another year as an undergraduate. The only other reason I had been considering that was to potentially boost my PGRE score and apply to higher ranked universities next year. However, that's a gamble - there's no guarantee I'd be able to boost the score.

Also, thanks Mépris for the link. That looks like a very nice introduction to many of the relevant topics. I'll definitely have to try working through that over the summer.

1. What is string theory and how does math deficiency affect its study?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of all matter and energy in the universe. It proposes that particles, instead of being point-like objects, are actually tiny strings that vibrate at different frequencies. Math is essential in understanding and developing string theory, as it involves complex mathematical equations and concepts. A deficiency in math skills can make it difficult to fully grasp the concepts and make progress in the study of string theory.

2. Can a math deficiency prevent me from being accepted into a graduate program for string theory?

It is possible that a math deficiency may hinder your acceptance into a graduate program for string theory. Many programs require a strong background in math, particularly in areas such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. However, admissions decisions also take into account other factors such as your overall academic record, research experience, and potential for growth. If you have a strong interest in string theory and are willing to put in the effort to improve your math skills, you may still have a chance at being accepted into a graduate program.

3. How can I improve my math skills for string theory?

If you have concerns about your math deficiency for string theory, there are steps you can take to improve your skills. Consider taking additional math courses, either through your undergraduate institution or through online resources. You can also seek out a tutor or join a study group to get extra help and practice. It is important to be dedicated and persistent in your efforts to improve your math skills, as they are crucial for understanding and advancing in string theory.

4. Are there any alternative paths to studying string theory if I have a math deficiency?

If you have a strong interest in string theory but struggle with math, there may still be alternative paths to studying it. Some programs may offer bridge courses or remedial classes to help students catch up on necessary math skills. You can also consider pursuing a related field such as theoretical physics or mathematical physics, which may have less emphasis on math but still involve concepts related to string theory. Additionally, there are many opportunities for self-study and research in string theory, so you can still engage with the subject even if you are not formally enrolled in a graduate program.

5. What can I do to stand out in my graduate school application for string theory?

In addition to having a strong academic record and relevant research experience, there are other ways to make your graduate school application for string theory stand out. Consider reaching out to professors or researchers in the field to discuss your interest in string theory and potentially collaborate on a project. You can also participate in conferences or workshops related to string theory to network and gain exposure to current research. Finally, be sure to highlight your passion and dedication for studying string theory in your personal statement and letters of recommendation.