Double Majoring for Grad School: Physics & Math?

In summary, I think it is a good idea to major in engineering if you like math because it will be very similar. However, if you are interested in astronomy, you should major in astronomy.
oksanav
I'm sure some of this has already been answered, but I'm going to go ahead and ask. I'm a physics undergrad but I might want to go into engineering for my masters. My math teacher kind of talked me into double majoring, because math comes so easy to me, but I'm still not sure, because it'd mean another semester and I've switched majors so much that I have a lot of extra hours already and I'll be charged out of state tuition if I'm not careful. I was wondering how much better double majoring would look compared to just having a lot of math, if I choose to go into engineering.
Secondly, I'm kind of confused about engineering. The thing that interested me is a show I saw where grad students were in a competition designing/building houses that run completely off of solar energy. I thought this was neat, because though exploring astronomy is fun, I'm very much a "make stuff" and design kind of person ( I was an art major before I switched to physics). From the research I've done, solar energy is generally under the mechanical engineering department, but this isn't entirely consistent. I'm from Texas but I'm hoping to go to Univ. of Alberta, so I've been e-mailing them, but I thought I'd ask here too.

So anyways, my physics profs try to encourage physics, and my math profs encourage math. I thought an outside view would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you like astronomy and like building things I would say going for Aerospace Engineering... but I am just an undergrad that isn't 100% sure about everything lol. I am going for Aerospace engineering starting this fall. I have had some science and math before changing majors at my prior college but I haven't had much experience. So I guess I am saying don't make a decision off of what I think haha. Hopefully I have helped some though.

Thanks! One cool thing I noticed while looking at grad school websites is that most engineers have more than one research interest, and one guy had 3 totally different interests, one of them working on stuff for exploring Mars. Astronomers tend to focus on one area though. Which makes me lean towards engineering.

yeah, the Mars rovers is actually what sparked my interest in Aerospace Engineering. I did a paper on them along with a few other robotic systems in space, and as I did I decided to change my major. Luckily I ended up writing that paper my freshman year first semester lol.

i am a math prof and we encourage math because we love it (and we need more warm brains in our program). but you have to live with it, so go with what you love. but physicists do use a lot of math, so if physics is your thing take as much math as feasible.

1. What are the benefits of double majoring in Physics and Math for grad school?

Double majoring in Physics and Math for grad school can provide a strong foundation in both subjects, which are highly relevant and complementary in many fields of research. This can make you a more competitive candidate for graduate programs, and also give you a broader skill set for conducting advanced research.

2. Is it common for students to double major in Physics and Math for grad school?

Yes, it is fairly common for students to double major in Physics and Math for grad school, especially if they are interested in pursuing a career in a STEM field. Many universities offer this option, and it is often encouraged by academic advisors due to the overlap between the two subjects.

3. Will double majoring in Physics and Math make my workload too heavy for grad school?

It is important to carefully consider your workload and time management skills before double majoring in Physics and Math for grad school. While it may require more effort and dedication, it can also be very rewarding and beneficial in terms of your academic and career goals. It is important to prioritize and balance your workload to avoid being overwhelmed.

4. Can I still pursue a double major in Physics and Math for grad school if I did not major in these subjects during my undergraduate studies?

It is possible to pursue a double major in Physics and Math for grad school even if you did not major in these subjects during your undergraduate studies. However, you may need to take additional courses or complete prerequisites in order to be accepted into a graduate program for these subjects. It is important to consult with academic advisors and research the specific requirements for your desired graduate programs.

5. What career opportunities are available for those who double major in Physics and Math for grad school?

Double majoring in Physics and Math for grad school can open up a wide range of career opportunities, particularly in fields such as research, data analysis, engineering, and academia. These subjects are highly valued in many industries and can lead to fulfilling and well-paid careers in various fields.