Grad school: SDSU, SJSU, SFSU, CSULA, CSULB?

In summary, the conversation was about a new member to the forum who has been accepted to multiple MS programs in Physics and is seeking advice on the strengths and weaknesses of each school and which one would be the best for pursuing a career in Renewable Energy. They also asked for advice on what questions to ask the Graduate Advisors and what to look for during department tours. The conversation ended with the new member expressing their commitment to working hard and asking for relevant advice. A recruiter from Cal State LA also recommended getting in touch with a professor at their university for more guidance.
LelandHockey
Ok, so I timed out while writing this post (at work) so I will summarize:

- I'm new to the forums, and I look forward to meeting new colleagues and friends.

- I've been accepted to San Diego State, San Jose State, San Francisco State, Cal State LA and Cal State Long Beach for MS programs in Physics.

- I'd like to get advice on the strengths and weaknesses of these schools, if possible. Anything you know about any of these schools? Any advice?

- I'm looking to go into Renewable Energy, specifically Photovoltaic Module Fabrication & Design. Which would be the best school - of those listed - to pursue this at?

- I'm visiting SDSU, CSULA and CSULB next week; what questions should I ask the Graduate Advisors? When I take tours of the departments, what things should I be looking for in the labs/classrooms/elsewhere?

- I know these aren't top tier schools and I'm not a prestigious student, however I'm committed to working hard in whatever program I do attend and am earnestly asking for advice, so please refrain from comments not related to the topic at hand.

Once again, I look forward to hearing from everyone!

- LelandHockey

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I'm a recruiter from Cal State LA. In regards to our Physics department, I would highly reccomend you get in contact with Dr. William Taylor, Professor of Physics Emeritus at our university: wtaylor@calstatela.edu. He is very student oriented and could hopefully point you in the right direction. Hopefully we're the right campus for you, if not, I wish you the best in your academic career.

Frank Cornelio
fcornelio@cslanet.calstatela.edu

Our wonderful Dr. Taylor: http://www.calstatela.edu/dept/physics/wtaylor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Congratulations on being accepted to these MS programs in Physics! It's great that you're seeking advice and doing research before making a decision on which school to attend. I can offer some general advice on what to consider when choosing a graduate program.

Firstly, it's important to look at the specific research areas and strengths of each program. Since you're interested in renewable energy and photovoltaic module fabrication and design, you'll want to make sure that the school you choose has a strong research focus in those areas. Look at the faculty profiles and see if there are professors who are doing research in those fields. You can also reach out to current graduate students in those programs and ask about the research opportunities available to students.

Secondly, consider the resources and facilities available at each school. As a graduate student, you'll be spending a lot of time in labs and classrooms, so it's important to make sure that the facilities are up-to-date and well-equipped for your research needs. During your visits, ask about the equipment and resources available to graduate students and see if they align with your research interests.

Additionally, it's important to consider the location and surrounding community of each school. You'll be living in this area for the duration of your program, so make sure it's a place where you feel comfortable and can see yourself thriving. You may also want to research the job market and career opportunities in the area, especially in the renewable energy industry.

As for questions to ask the graduate advisors, here are a few suggestions:
1. Can you tell me more about the research opportunities available for graduate students in the area of renewable energy and photovoltaic module fabrication and design?
2. What resources and facilities are available for graduate students in this program?
3. What is the job market and career outlook for graduates of this program in the renewable energy industry?
4. Can you tell me about any networking opportunities or collaborations with industry partners in this program?

During your tours of the departments, pay attention to the lab spaces, the equipment and resources available, and the overall atmosphere of the department. You may also want to talk to current graduate students and ask about their experiences in the program.

Lastly, don't discount these schools just because they may not be considered "top tier." What matters most is the quality of education and research opportunities available to you, as well as your dedication and hard work. I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process and in your

1. What are the admission requirements for these graduate programs?

The admission requirements vary for each graduate program, but generally, applicants must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, a minimum GPA of 3.0, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and GRE or GMAT scores. Some programs may also require specific prerequisite courses or work experience.

2. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree at these universities?

The length of time to complete a graduate degree at these universities varies depending on the program and whether a student is attending full-time or part-time. On average, graduate programs at these universities take 2-3 years to complete.

3. What types of financial aid are available for graduate students?

Graduate students at these universities may be eligible for financial aid in the form of scholarships, grants, loans, and assistantships. It is recommended to contact the financial aid office at the specific university for more information on available options and how to apply.

4. Can I work while attending graduate school at these universities?

Yes, many graduate students at these universities work part-time or full-time while attending school. Some programs also offer evening or weekend classes to accommodate working professionals. However, it is important to carefully balance work and school commitments to ensure academic success.

5. Are there opportunities for research or internships at these universities?

Yes, these universities offer a variety of research and internship opportunities for graduate students. Students can work with faculty members on research projects or participate in internships to gain hands-on experience in their field of study. It is recommended to reach out to professors or the university's career center for more information on available opportunities.