1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grade 9 Geo Proj! Stem Cell Help!

1. May 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a class in grade nine geography and as our final assignment we have to pick a topic on things that effect canada. I picked stem cell research, got my info, but I have no idea of what to make the model. I tried thinking of everything, I'm in academic and for me to get a good mark it must "do something" (Ex. Solar Energy Model = A car -moving- because of solar energy). Most of the easy topics are taken now so I can't change, I still have 2 weeks but I want to get it over with since exams.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried to think of many things, like how a stem cell evolves, but that would be very complicated and costly. I seriously am out of ideas, please help.

Help would be greatly appreciated,
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not completely clear on what you need to do (or why you're researching stem cells for a geography class), but you might want to think of something along the lines of demonstrating stages of development where stem cells exist (i.e., they're not all of embryonic origin) and what sort of potential each type has (i.e., totipotent, pluripotent...)

It's hard to make a "working" model of something that happens at a microscopic level.
  4. May 23, 2007 #3
    Don't think of it on the microscopic level in my opinion, think of the whole industry and idea of it. I wouldn't focus on the biology part of it as much as the social impacts. How would our health care system change because of this technology? How about the economy if people start living longer?

A model could be a stem cell drug that heals because of stem cells rebuilding the diseased or damaged tissues. I'm not sure if you want a model that you can actually show or build or just write about..?
  5. May 23, 2007 #4
    Thanks for the ideas, the model is suppost to be built from scratch to show how stem cell research has effected Canada. I am trying my best to think of how I could make it do something.

Thanks for the replies,
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?