1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient in polar coords using tensors

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    Using tensors, I'm supposed to find the usual formula for the gradient in the covariant basis and in polar coordinates. The formula is [itex]\vec{grad}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}]\vec{e_{r}}+\frac{1}{r}[\frac{\partial}{\partial \vartheta}]\vec{e_{\vartheta}}[/itex] where [itex]\vec{e_{r}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{e_{\vartheta}}[/itex] are the covariant basis vectors.

In the contravariant basis with [itex]\vec{e^{r}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{e^{\vartheta}}[/itex] , we know that [itex]\vec{grad}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{i}}] \vec{e^{i}}[/itex]. But from index gymnastics, [itex]\vec{e^{i}}=g^{ij}\vec{e_{j}}[/itex]. So [itex]\vec{grad}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{i}}]g^{ij}\vec{e_{j}}[/itex].

In polar coordinates, the inverse metric tensor is [itex]g^{11} = 1, g^{12}=g^{21}=0, g^{22} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}[/itex].

So this gives [itex]\vec{grad}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}]\vec{e_{r}}+\frac{1}{r^{2}}[\frac{ \partial}{\partial \vartheta}]\vec{e_{\vartheta}}[/itex]. And lo and behold, this is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2
    Hi,
    the gymnastics you are talking about allow you to raise or lower indices of a tensor, but in this case what you want to do is express the gradient in different coordinates which is a different matter.

4. Oct 22, 2012 #3
    I'm not using the raising/lowering indices operations to switch from rectangular to polar coordinates, I'm using them to switch, in polar coordinates, from a contravariant basis to a covariant basis.

Actually, I think I know what I got wrong. The correct formula is [itex]\vec{grad}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}]\hat{r}+\frac{1}{r}[\frac{\partial}{\partial \vartheta}]\hat{\vartheta}[/itex]. The vectors [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\vartheta}[/itex] are unit vectors, while [itex]\vec{e_{r}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{e_{\vartheta}}[/itex] aren't unit vectors. But I can write [itex]\vec{e_{j}}=\hat{u_{j}}||\vec{e_{j}}||=\hat{u_{j}}\sqrt{g_{jj}}[/itex], with [itex]\hat{u_{j}}[/itex] a unit vector.

Then the formula for the gradient becomes [itex]\vec{grad}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{i}}]g^{ij}\sqrt{g_{jj}}\vec{u_{j}}[/itex] which I think is more right. (The r factor in √g22 compensates the 1/r2 in g22 for the correct 1/r.) But the indices don't seem to balance out in the way they are supposed to in the Einstein notation...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook